NHAI says it will exceed highways construction target this fiscal
NHAI chairman Deepak Kumar said the firm will ‘certainly exceed’ the current fiscal’s target of constructing 3,500km of highways, which may require extra expenditure
New Delhi: National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) Tuesday said it will “certainly exceed” the current fiscal’s target of constructing 3,500km of highways, which may require extra expenditure.
“Our award target is 6,500km and construction target is 3,500km. We have to exceed this (target). Certainly we will exceed this target,” NHAI chairman Deepak Kumar said. He was speaking to reporters after the launch of new website of NHAI and project monitoring information system (PMIS) mobile app in New Delhi.
“The moment we exceed it (the target) there would be extra expenditure. Right now I would not be able to say what would be (extra) expenditure. But the expenditure will exceed. It will exceed our budgetary allocation,” he said.
The decision on the extra expenditure — whether it would come from borrowing or budgetary supplement — is yet to be taken, he added. The board, Kumar said, has approved the monetisation of operational highway projects. Under the scheme, nine highway projects will be auctioned by this month-end which would generate Rs6,700 crore.
“The board has approved it (monetisation of operational highway projects) and by October-end we will bring it. There is a target we will do before it... There are a total of nine projects (its total cost, the bid amount is Rs6,700),” he said.
Last year, NHAI had been authorised by the cabinet committee on economic affairs to monetise the public-funded highway projects for mobilising funds. Elaborating further the chairman said, “We will come out with one RFP (request for proposal) in October and we will come out with two more RFP by 31st March.” On fund raising, he said: “(till August) we have raised Rs19,880 crore from the market in which LIC is Rs8,500 crore and EPFO is Rs5,000 crore,” among others.
- Delhi Metro: South Campus, Moti Bagh among 10 stations renamed
- Modi attacks Congress for spreading ‘lies and rumours’ on Dalit, farmer issues
- Narendra Modi inaugurates Rs11,000 crore Eastern Peripheral Expressway
- ED to seek immediate confiscation of Nirav Modi’s Rs7,000 crore assets under fugitive ordinance
- Finance ministry in talks with investors to set up strategic investment fund under NIIF
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars