IIT annual fee to be hiked to Rs2 lakh; waiver for SC/ST, disabled, poor
- Narendra Modi holds talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel
- Walmart nominates McDonald’s CEO Steve Easterbrook to board
- Apple to replace some MacBook Pro faulty batteries
- Karnataka elections: JD(S) leader HD Kumaraswamy files his 2nd nomination from Channapatna
- Karnataka elections: BJP names Karunakar Reddy from Harapannahalli in 3rd list
New Delhi: The annual fees for undergraduate courses in the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) will be hiked from the existing Rs.90,000 to Rs.2 lakh from the upcoming academic session and there will be total fee waiver for scheduled castes and scheduled tribes, the differently-abled and those belonging to economically weaker sections.
A decision to hike the fee by over two-fold has been taken by the human resources development ministry following a proposal by an IIT panel, ministry officials said.
Students belonging to families whose annual income is less than Rs.1 lakh will be able to avail 100% fee waiver, along with those belonging to scheduled castes and scheduled tribes and the differently-abled.
Last month the Standing Committee of IIT Council (SCIC) had approved a three-fold hike in annual fees.