Online hiring activity rebounds in July: Report
Following a decline of 8% in June and 7% in May 2018, the Monster Employment Index for India for July stood at 268, up from 254 in June
New Delhi: Following two successive months of decline, online hiring activity saw a rebound of 6% in July on a month-on-month basis led primarily by the production and manufacturing sector, says a report.
Following a decline of 8% in June and 7% in May 2018, the Monster Employment Index for India for July stood at 268, up from 254 in June.
On a year-on-year basis, however, the index registered a 2% decline. The production and manufacturing sector has seen 28 per cent growth in hiring demand in the past 6 months between January and July 2018.
“This could be a result of the sustained impetus in domestic and export growth orders have encouraged firms to raise their staffing levels.
“Moreover, the retail sector has also shown a phenomenal growth surge which can be attributed to a spurt in online shopping owing to end of season sale and discounts,” said Abhijeet Mukherjee, CEO, Monster.com, APAC and Gulf.
The retail sector witnessed a 41% year-on-year increase in the online recruitment activity in July 2018, up from 17% in June 2018.
“It is notable that demand for freshers with 0-3 years of experience is on rise, however, this re-iterates the importance of guiding the young professionals and arming them with relevant industry ready skills for their career path,” Mukherjee added.
Among job roles, finance and accounting and human resources (HR) and administration registered the most notable increase in demand on a year-on-year basis.
City-wise data showed a downtrend in e-recruitment activity in all major cities. On a year-on-year basis Chandigarh registered 18% rise, Jaipur (up 12%) and Coimbatore (up 10%) were the only cities to chart positive growth in July 2018, the report added.
- Gold prices fall today, silver edges lower
- Flipkart claims to have beat Amazon in fashion, mobile phones, large appliances during sale season
- SBI to block internet banking on accounts if mobile number not registered
- Climate change is threatening world’s beer supply
- Piramal Enterprises said to mull $1 billion contract pharma sale
- IndusInd Bank’s Q2 results show a peek into the IL&FS booby trap
- So which liquid, money market funds did investors flee from in September?
- Dr Reddy’s: API unit sale should lower costs, may not be a windfall
- Demerger in final leg, CESC stock yet to reflect value unlocking benefits
- Banks turned wary of NBFCs months before IL&FS defaults