PM Modi, Xi Jinping begin second day of Wuhan summit
PM Narendra Modi and Xi Jinping’s Saturday talks include a walk around the famous East Lake in Wuhan and an hour-long boat ride
Wuhan: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping began their last round of one-on-one talks in Wuhan on Saturday as they are set to wind up the two-day informal summit aimed at forging consensus to improve the bilateral relations and address the contentious issues bedevilling their ties.
Saturday’s talks included a walk around the famous East Lake in Wuhan and an hour-long boat ride. They would conclude their talks with one-on-one lunch hosted by Xi in the honour of Modi. The Prime Minister is due to leave for home after that.
The two leaders on Friday held extensive talks amid the warmth and bonhomie. They started the summit talks at the Hubei Provincial Museum where Xi took Modi around introducing the historic artefacts. The museum walk scheduled for 20 minutes lasted over 40 minutes after which they began one-on-one talks.
The summit was stated to be unique as the two leaders have no pressure and obligation to strike any agreements nor make big announcements but focus mainly on candid discussions on solutions to some of the vexed problems like the boundary question and other issues. Their one-on-one talks were followed by delegation-level interaction with six top officials each from both sides took part, giving an impression that some of the critical issues were on the table for discussion.
National security advisor Ajit Doval, foreign secretary Vijay Gokhale and Indian ambassador to China Gautam Bambawale were present in the meeting. Xi headed a high-powered delegation which included member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee Ding Xuexiang, member of the Political Bureau of the CPC Yang Jiechi and state councillor and minister of foreign affairs Wang Yi.
The delegation talks which apparently focussed on some of the most contentious issues lasted for over two hours overshooting scheduled half an hour, hinting the seriousness of the discussions, officials said. Later Xi hosted a banquet in the honour of Modi at East Lake. PTI
- Last few years were golden chapter in India-Bangladesh ties: Narendra Modi
- Sterlite protests: Supreme Court for urgent listing of matter on 28 May
- H.D. Kumaraswamy wins Karnataka floor test after BJP walks out
- Revoking of US H-4 visa work permit in final stages: Trump administration
- Congress’s Ramesh Kumar elected Karnataka speaker
Editor's Picks »
- Delta Airlines set to resume non-stop flights to Mumbai next year
- Ahead of IPO, Eastman Auto and Power offers ESOPs to staff
- CBSE Class 12 result 2018 to be declared tomorrow, Google to also host results
- Mahindra opens its first assembly plant in South Africa
- Anil Agarwal wants to build Vedanta into giant producer of commodities to rival majors
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars