Fire at abandoned ONGC gas well in south Tripura; people evacuated
Superintendent of police Bhanupada Chakraborty, who is camping in the area, says the well was abandoned 20 years ago by ONGC and was sealed
Belonia (Tripura): An abandoned gas well of Oil and Natural Gas Corp. Ltd at Takkatulsi, a tribal hamlet in south Tripura district, caught fire on Friday and engulfed a large part of the village, forcing evacuation of people.
Superintendent of police Bhanupada Chakraborty, who is camping in the area, said the well was abandoned about 20 years ago by ONGC and was sealed.
“Suddenly a huge fire broke out there in the afternoon and natural gas was gushing out,” he said.
There was no damage or injury, he added. As people panicked, those residing within 1km radius were evacuated and a huge contingent of police and paramilitary forces were deployed.
Fire tenders were rushed in the district headquarter town of Belonia and neighbouring Gomati district and engaged to douse the blaze, he said.
Chakraborty said he has spoken to ONGC asset manager S.C. Sony, who assured him that a special fire fighting engine is being rushed to the spot and a technical team of ONGC would also be sent.
Editor's Picks »
- Piyush Goyal says govt will look into RBI demand for more powers over state-run lenders
- Public sector banks to focus on credit needs of good borrowers: FM
- SBI’s Rajnish Kumar says banks agree fragmentation in the industry is not good
- IIFL arm looks to raise Rs746 crore from institutional investors
- Markets slip as trade war fears escalate