London police investigating suspicious package at British parliament
London police were investigating an incident in the British parliament, the lower house of the legislature said. Media reports said officers were checking a suspect package
London: Police were investigating an incident in the British parliament on Tuesday, the lower house of the legislature said, and media reports said officers were checking a suspect package.
“The police are currently investigating an incident on the parliamentary estate,” a House of Commons spokesperson said, without elaborating.
A police spokesman said he was not immediately able to comment.
Britain’s parliament is currently in recess.
News website MailOnline and the Press Association news service said the incident involved a suspect package.
A Reuters correspondent in parliament said there was no sign of a broader security alert in the building.
Police have increased security at parliament after an Islamic State-inspired attacker killed five people a year ago by driving a car into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge and then stabbing to death a police officer in the grounds of parliament. Reuters
- Govt schemes helped 22 crore poor families, says Amit Shah
- Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina asks India for support on Rohingyas
- Donald Trump says US North Korea summit ‘could’ happen on 12 June
- Sterlite protests: Thoothukudi limping back to normalcy but anguish, pain remain
- CBDT chairman Sushil Chandra gets one-year extension
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars