Gujarat elections: BJP releases 6th and final list of 34 candidates
BJP has given tickets to 12 sitting MLAs, while dropping five MLAs, including former CM Anandiben Patel, in its sixth and final list for Gujarat elections
Ahmedabad: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday released its final list of 34 candidates on the last day of filing of nominations for the second phase of the Gujarat polls, dropping five MLAs, including a minister and former chief minister Anandiben Patel.
Anandiben Patel, the legislator from Ghatlodia seat of Ahmedabad city, had earlier announced that she would not contest the polls.
The BJP has dropped minister Rohit Patel from Anand seat. The other MLAs not given tickets are Nagarji Thakor from Radhanpur, R.M. Patel from Asarwa (SC) and Vinchhia Bhuria from Limkheda (ST).
Former minister and spokesperson Jaynarayan Vyas will be contesting from Siddhpur, from where he had lost in the 2012 polls. The ruling party has also given tickets to Tejashariben Patel, the former Congress MLA who joined the saffron party earlier, and Kanu Makvana, the son of former Congress MLA Karamshi Makvana, who had crossed over to the BJP during the Rajya Sabha polls.
In its sixth and final list, the party has given tickets to 12 sitting MLAs. The BJP has fielded Bhupendra Patel from Ghatlodia, represented by Anandiben Patel, while senior leader Kaushik Patel has been given the ticket from Naranpura, which was earlier represented by party president Amit Shah.
Shah had resigned as MLA after his election to the Rajya Sabha. The 182-member Gujarat Assembly will go to the polls in two phases on 9 and 14 December. The counting of votes will be taken up on 18 December.
- Tamil Nadu seeks permanent closure of Vedanta’s copper smelter, says official
- North Korea says it still wants to meet after summit collapses
- Gender inequalities driving child stunting in India: IFPRI study
- Maharashtra MLC polls: Sena, BJP win 2 seats each
- Panel reviewing safety of banned FDC drugs to submit report in July
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What is the Warren Buffett indicator telling us about market valuations today?
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars