Service tax for online train ticket booking waived till 31 December
- Wipro falls nearly 5% as brokerages cut target price on weak Q4 results
- A good competitor is good for HUL: Sanjiv Mehta
- Breaking taboos is becoming good for business in India
- Our core strategy is working and showing healthy growth: Wipro CEO Abidali Neemuchwala
- Contract manufacturers of global firms to launch own TV brands
New Delhi: Train tickets booked through the IRCTC website will become cheaper from Wednesday till the end of the year as the government has waived service tax to encourage cashless transactions in the wake of the demonetisation exercise.
Service tax will not be levied on tickets booked through the IRCTC website from 23 November to 31 December, said a senior railway ministry official. Rs20 is levied as service tax on Sleeper and Rs40 on AC classes for booking tickets through IRCTC.
Service tax has been waived to incentivise cashless transactions through online booking, the official added.