Bypolls to 3 Lok Sabha seats in Rajasthan, West Bengal on 29 January
Election Commission to issue notifications on 3 January for the bypolls to the Alwar and Ajmer seats in Rajasthan and the Uluberia seat in West Bengal
New Delhi: Bypolls to three Lok Sabha seats in Rajasthan and West Bengal which fell vacant following the demise of sitting members will be held on 29 January, the Election Commission on Thursday announced.
Notifications will be issued on 3 January for the bypolls to the Alwar and Ajmer seats in Rajasthan and the Uluberia seat in West Bengal.
The commission, however, did not announce the dates of the anticipated bypolls to Gorakhpur and Phulpur Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh which fell vacant in September after Adityanath became chief minister of Uttar Pradesh and Keshav Prasad Maurya his deputy after the assembly polls.
The Alwar, Ajmer and Uluberia seats fell vacant after sitting members Mahant Chandnath (BJP), Sanwar Lal Jat (BJP) and Sultan Ahmed (TMC) died recently.
The poll panel also announced bypoll to Mandalgarh (Rajasthan) and Naopara (West Bengal) assembly seats. The counting of votes will take place on 1 February.
Editor's Picks »
- NTPC invites EoI to build fly ash-based roads at its plants
- BSNL vows swift action on BharatNet concerns; says responsible for upkeep of optical fibre portion
- Northeastern states agree to implement RERA
- Naidu to meet Mamata Banerjee over anti-BJP front
- Government wants to ‘capture’ RBI’s reserves: Chidambaram
- Future Retail’s Q2 result shows improvement in same-store sales
- Private insurance firms grow at the expense of LIC stuck with a sick bank
- Page Industries’s lofty valuations get a reality check in Q2
- Q2 results: Grasim’s Vodafone Idea stake is proving costly
- How Vodafone Idea’s $3.5 bn fundraising will impact telecom in India