Second round of polling in West Bengal, Assam today
61 seats in Assam and 31 seats in West Bengal will see polling on Monday
- Gender inequalities driving child stunting in India: IFPRI study
- Maharashtra MLC polls: Sena, BJP win 2 seats each
- Panel reviewing safety of banned FDC drugs to submit report in July
- Kairana: Opposition looks to resurrect Muslim-Jat alliance to trump BJP
- Andhra plans Rs51,000 crore capex in 1st phase of Amaravati project
The second day of polling in the ongoing assembly elections in Assam and West Bengal will be held on Monday. In Assam, 61 constituencies will go to the polls in the second and final phase. Thirty-one constituencies will decide the fate of candidates in the second part of the first phase of assembly elections in West Bengal.
The final phase in Assam will see polling in central and areas of lower Assam. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is for the first time giving a tough fight to the ruling Congress party and regional giant All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF). The BJP is fighting the elections in alliance with the Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) and Asom Gana Parishad (AGP).
In West Bengal, 13 constituencies are in Paschim Medinipur district and nine each are in Bankura and Bardhaman districts.