The Best Book on Leadership I have read | Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies
Global Consumer Products’ A. Mahendran says the book has inspired him to build long-lasting brands
Written by Jim Collins and Jerry I. Porras, the first edition was published in 1994. The authors studied select companies from inception—as start-ups, mid-sized companies and large corporations. The authors asked: “What makes the truly exceptional companies different from the comparison companies and what were the common practices these enduringly great companies followed throughout their history?”
Mahendran, who is a seasoned entrepreneur and former managing director at of Godrej Consumer Products Ltd, says the book has inspired him to build long-lasting brands.
“The book taught me that one should not start a company on the basis of individual charisma. If individual charisma is over-imposed in a company, it will not last long,” he says.
Mahendran, in his earlier role as the managing director of Godrej Sara Lee Ltd, played a pivotal role at the company. He steered the fortunes of the company since its inception and nurtured the GoodKnight brand into an acknowledged product. “I consciously kept individual charisma out of the brand,” he says. “The idea was to create a larger and long-lasting brand.
Editor's Picks »
- Gaurs sells housing units worth Rs 400 crore during Navratra-Diwali
- NTPC invites EoI to build fly ash-based roads at its plants
- BSNL vows swift action on BharatNet concerns; says responsible for upkeep of optical fibre portion
- Northeastern states agree to implement RERA
- Naidu to meet Mamata Banerjee over anti-BJP front
- Future Retail’s Q2 result shows improvement in same-store sales
- Private insurance firms grow at the expense of LIC stuck with a sick bank
- Page Industries’s lofty valuations get a reality check in Q2
- Q2 results: Grasim’s Vodafone Idea stake is proving costly
- How Vodafone Idea’s $3.5 bn fundraising will impact telecom in India