Indian basketball team loses to Iraq in William Jones Cup
The Indian men’s basketball team suffered a 68-86 loss to Iraq on the opening day of the William Jones Cup in Bengaluru
Bengaluru: The Indian men’s basketball team suffered a 68-86 loss to Iraq on the opening day of the William Jones Cup in Bengaluru on Saturday.
The Indians raced to an early lead after the end of the first quarter, but relinquished it after being outscored 28-13 in the second quarter. Power forward Amjyot Singh Gill put in another standout performance, continuing his good form from the Brics Games, with 22 points and 6 rebounds. There were also enthusing displays from youngsters Gurvinder Singh Gill (10 points and 5 rebounds) and Ambati Prudhvishwar Reddy (11 points and 4 assists).
Collectively, the Indian team’s shooting from beyond the arc was also very impressive, making 12 three pointers at a 55% conversion rate.
For Iraq, Demaro Aquan Mayfield scored 19 points, while Ali Hamad and Omar Alazawi scored 17 and 15 points respectively. The Indian team will play South Korea on Sunday.
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed
- ACC’s operating margins feel the stress as cost pressures grow
- Federal Bank rides out Kerala floods but growth metrics need to sustain
- RIL’s consumer businesses deliver on growth; investments stay high
- Hero MotoCorp Q2: Costs apply brakes on profit growth