Indian basketball team loses to Iraq in William Jones Cup
The Indian men’s basketball team suffered a 68-86 loss to Iraq on the opening day of the William Jones Cup in Bengaluru
Bengaluru: The Indian men’s basketball team suffered a 68-86 loss to Iraq on the opening day of the William Jones Cup in Bengaluru on Saturday.
The Indians raced to an early lead after the end of the first quarter, but relinquished it after being outscored 28-13 in the second quarter. Power forward Amjyot Singh Gill put in another standout performance, continuing his good form from the Brics Games, with 22 points and 6 rebounds. There were also enthusing displays from youngsters Gurvinder Singh Gill (10 points and 5 rebounds) and Ambati Prudhvishwar Reddy (11 points and 4 assists).
Collectively, the Indian team’s shooting from beyond the arc was also very impressive, making 12 three pointers at a 55% conversion rate.
For Iraq, Demaro Aquan Mayfield scored 19 points, while Ali Hamad and Omar Alazawi scored 17 and 15 points respectively. The Indian team will play South Korea on Sunday.
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Why there are no classic No.10s in Russia
- 2018 FIFA World Cup: Target-man striker makes a come back in Russia
- Cheers! Not really for Russian beer despite a surge in sales during World Cup
- ICC unveils inaugural World Test Championship schedule
- The meteoric rise of Iceland’s football and what India can learn from it
Editor's Picks »
- Why Indian paint makers are shifting to water-based paints
- 2019 elections still some time away but defence stocks get the jitters
- Complan and Horlicks sale signals low energy in health drinks market
- With fall of the last dove, MPC minutes portend more than one RBI rate hike
- RITES IPO ticks the valuations box, but not the growth one