Barcelona block Neymar’s €26 million bonus as PSG transfer looms
Barcelona have blocked payment of a €26 million ($31 million) bonus for Neymar as speculation mounts that he will move to PSG for a world-record fee
Barcelona: Barcelona have blocked payment of a €26 million ($31 million) bonus for Neymar as speculation mounts that he will move to Paris Saint-Germain, a person familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.
The Brazilian football star, who is due to come back for training on Wednesday morning, is at the centre of an apparent tug of war between the two European clubs in what would be the most expensive transfer fee in football history.
Speculation is mounting that the 25-year-old could quit Barcelona for PSG for a world-record €222 million.
“These €26 million have been placed with a notary pending to see if the player continues,” the person quoted above, who refused to be named, told AFP.
The renewal bonus was agreed on a year ago when Neymar extended his contract with Barcelona until 2021, and was due to be paid to the player after he completed a year. But the club have decided to put it on hold pending to see how the situation evolves.
The contract Neymar signed also increased an early termination clause from €200 million to €222 million, which PSG is reportedly willing to pay.
Neymar’s future is the talk of Spanish football, and particularly Barcelona supporters.
After a successful pre-season tour in the United States that saw Barcelona win against Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid, the footballer flew to China for a promotion trip.
But he studiously avoided commenting on the situation.
On Wednesday, Barcelona players resume training after their summer break, with a double session in the morning and in the afternoon.Neymar has been called to the training, the person said, although Spanish sports media doubt he will show up.
- Pujara does one better than Sachin in historic Adelaide win
- When Indian batsmen stepped up in 2003-04 series, and how
- Usman Khawaja’s brother charged for faking attack plot to frame rival
- IOA submits formal expression of interest to host 2032 Olympics
- IPL player auction to be held in Jaipur on December 18: BCCI
Editor's Picks »
- Urjit Patel: The independent-minded RBI governor who found his voice
- Banks, ArcelorMittal oppose Essar Steel proposal
- Google+ shutdown speeds up, new privacy bug affected 52.5 million users
- Urjit Patel’s resignation ‘severe blow’ to nation’s economy: Manmohan Singh
- India expresses ‘deep satisfaction’ over UK court’s judgement on Vijay Mallya’s extradition
- The government has a troubling message for minority shareholders
- Opec-allies’ output cut may not amount to big shift in oil prices
- RBI’s new loan rate math for banks cannot ignore deposits
- Maruti loses speed as PV growth slows amid rising challenges
- Risks emerge for Ramakrishna Forgings, Bharat Forge, Motherson Sumi as heavy-duty trucks face headwinds