Rio Olympics: Mouma Das, Manika Batra bow out in table tennis
The women paddlers lost their preliminary round singles matches to higher-ranked rivals in the table tennis competition
- FIFA World Cup: Pressure shows on Lionel Messi, France stifled by tactics
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Cristiano Ronaldo and football’s shades of grey
- Has fantasy sports league got the direction right in India?
- FIFA World Cup: Pep Guardiola is the X-factor for England’s chances
- Does hosting a World Cup help your football?
Rio de Janeiro: Indian women paddlers Mouma Das and Manika Batra made their exit from the Rio Olympics after losing their preliminary round singles matches to higher-ranked rivals in the table tennis competition on Saturday.
World No. 150 Mouma’s challenge was lukewarm and short-lived as the Indian veteran, in her second Olympics, lost to world No. 58 Daniela Dodean Monteiro of Romania 2-11, 7-11, 7-11, 3-11.
Debutant Manika, on the other hand, put up a good fight before going down to her 60th-ranked Polish rival Katarzyna Franc-Grzybowska 2-4 (12-10 6-11 12-14 11-8 4-11 12-14 in 48 minutes in another preliminary round clash.
In the men’s singles, Sharath Kamal and Soumyajit Ghosh will play their first round matches later in the day.
It is the first time that four Indian paddlers had qualified for the Summer Games.
Editor's Picks »
- Salman Khan’s ‘Race 3’ crosses Rs 100 crore milestone over opening weekend
- Audi CEO Rupert Stadler arrested in diesel emission case
- Buying a used car? How to get the right loan
- Climate change may spark conflict over fisheries as species migrate
- ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar’s fate to be decided today at board meet: Report
- RBI wants banks to discipline Indian corporates on working capital
- For stressed power assets resolution, patience is the virtue for banks, govt
- Exide’s valuation zooms as it claws back market share lost to Amara Raja
- Trapped in mid-cap stocks? What investors should do
- TCS share buyback shows absurdities of India’s repurchase rules