Russia says International Olympic Committee reinstates its membership
‘The Russian Olympic Committee has had its rights fully restored,’ said Alexander Zhukov, the president of the Russian Olympic Committee
Moscow: The head of Russia’s Olympic Committee said on Wednesday that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) had reinstated his organisation’s membership after suspending it over doping allegations.
“The Russian Olympic Committee has had its rights fully restored,” said Alexander Zhukov, the president of the Russian Olympic Committee, in comments broadcast on state TV.
“It’s a decision of the utmost importance for us.”
Russians competed as neutrals in the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics after the IOC suspended Russia in December, saying it had found evidence of an “unprecedented systematic manipulation” of the anti-doping system.
Editor's Picks »
- India’s festival demand for gold dims as price rally bites
- Germany’s transport authority orders Opel to recall 73,000 diesel vehicles worldwide
- Pioneer SPH-CI9BT car infotainment unit review: Reducing driver distraction, or is it?
- Sujatha Gidla’s searing Dalit memoir wins the Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize 2018
- The elusive Mohan Samant
- Policy rethink and higher volumes to aid container shippers
- DCB Bank delivers a strong Q2 but pressure on margins foreseen
- Havells India: Rising costs give a jolt to profitability in September quarter
- All’s well at Mindtree, except for high client concentration risk
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed