Virat Kohli to play county cricket in preparation for England series
India captain Virat Kohli is all set to play county cricket in his bid to prepare for the upcoming Test series against England in August-September
New Delhi: India captain Virat Kohli is all set to play county cricket in his bid to prepare for the upcoming Test series against England in August-September. While it is yet to be ascertained which county Kohli will represent, it could be Surrey in all likelihood.
“Virat will be playing for a division one county side for sure. I wouldn’t like to add anything more to it. There were talks with Surrey and Essex,” a senior Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) official told PTI on Saturday.
It is learnt that the Indian captain’s sole focus is on the five Test series against England and he is ready to miss the one off Test against Afghanistan starting 14 June as he will be busy with his county stint. He will leave for England after completing his assignment for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the 11th edition of Indian Premier League.
Kohli didn’t have a great Test series in England in 2014 when he failed to get even a single half century. He was found vulnerable outside the off-stump and Stuart Broad and James Anderson troubled him a lot. The BCCI is putting in a lot of effort for the upcoming Test series and want more and more players to get accustomed to English conditions.
Accordingly, Cheteshwar Pujara will be turning up for Yorkshire while Ishant Sharma will be playing for Durham. It is also learnt that some of the senior India players will also turn up for India A in England in their bid to prepare for the tour. The likes of Murali Vijay, Ajinkya Rahane are also expected to prop up their preparations.
- Pujara does one better than Sachin in historic Adelaide win
- When Indian batsmen stepped up in 2003-04 series, and how
- Usman Khawaja’s brother charged for faking attack plot to frame rival
- IOA submits formal expression of interest to host 2032 Olympics
- IPL player auction to be held in Jaipur on December 18: BCCI
Editor's Picks »
- Huawei CFO gets bail, Trump says he may intervene in US case against Chinese executive
- RBI governor Shaktikanta Das faces long to-do list in new job
- Bond yield falls 11 bps as new RBI chief seen more dovish on rates
- Huawei executive gets bail in case rattling China ties
- Britain halts suspension of visa programme for rich investors
- Escorts: Japanese joint venture to hone growth in tractors
- HCL Tech’s acquisition of IBM products raises more questions than answers
- Investors ignore NMDC’s price cuts, and worry about its Donimalai iron ore mine instead
- Steel stocks get winter chill as China demand issues resurface
- Why Uday Kotak’s defiance is scaring his bank’s investors