ICC World Cup 2017: Indian cricket community hails women’s team victory
India women’s team launched their campaign on Saturday with a comfortable 35-run win over hosts England, riding on superb batting display by the top-order, including skipper Mithali Raj and Smriti Mandhana
New Delhi: The Indian cricket fraternity has lauded the women’s national team for starting its campaign in the ICC Women’s World Cup on a winning note in the United Kingdom.
India launched their campaign on Saturday with a comfortable 35-run win over hosts England, riding on superb batting display by the top-order, including skipper Mithali Raj and Smriti Mandhana.
If his series of tweets were any indications, batting great Sachin Tendulkar was involved in the match. “Good awareness by Ekta Bisht to get another crucial run out. Mona Meshram’s run out wasn’t bad either. Keep it going India,” was how Tendulkar’s final tweet on the game read. Before that he wrote, Superb batting performance by the @BCCIWomen’s team! Keep it up @SmritiMandhana, Poonam Raut and @RajMithali Great run out by Deepti Sharma. Possibly a game changer for India.”
Former India opener Virender Sehwag felt getting the better of the home team was at the start was a great beginning. “Congratulations on a wonderful victory @BCCIWomen . Beating the hosts at home is indeed a great beginning.” Put into bat, Smriti Mandhana struck a sizzling 90 off 72 balls in a dominating batting display as India posted an imposing 281 for three after being asked to bat.
Mandhana forged a 144-run opening wicket stand with Poonam Raut (86 off 134) before skipper Mithali Raj (71 not out) completed an unprecedented seventh consecutive half century in ODIs. India then returned to dismiss England for 246 with 15 balls to spare to make a resounding start to their World Cup campaign at the County Ground in Derby.
Ex-India captain Bishan Bedi wrote on his twitter handle, “Indn girls begin World Cup campaign brightly beat Eng convincingly-Twas delight watching Indns come o age..was pleasantly surprised-gud job!”
Opener Shikhar Dhawan and Manoj Tiwari also expressed their pleasure. “Congratulations @BCCIWomen on their victorious start. Way to go,” Dhawan wrote. While Tiwary said, “Congratulations @BCCIWomen on a wonderful start in #WWC17 Well played @mandhana_smriti @M_Raj03 and Poonam Raut.”
- FIFA World Cup: How a loss or draw in the opening match impacts top teams
- 2018 FIFA World Cup: Tiki-taka meets its match in ‘bodies on the line’
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Why there are no classic No.10s in Russia
- 2018 FIFA World Cup: Target-man striker makes a come back in Russia
- Cheers! Not really for Russian beer despite a surge in sales during World Cup
Editor's Picks »
- NCLT allows extension of the deadline to evaluate bidders of Mandhana Industries
- Smart Cities Mission is too project-based and lacks integrated vision: Report
- West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee cancels China visit
- Chai Point expects aggressive growth in its vending machines business
- Symphony to buy out Climate Technologies