PV Sindhu wins maiden India Open Super Series title
PV Sindhu produced a superlative performance to beat reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin of Spain to lift her maiden India Open Super Series title
New Delhi: Rio Olympics silver medallist PV Sindhu produced a superlative performance to beat reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin of Spain 21-19 21-16 to lift her maiden India Open Super Series title, in New Delhi on Sunday.
In front of a partisan home crowd at the Sirifort Sports Complex, the third seeded Indian dominated the match from the start to win the summit clash in 46 minutes.
The win also narrowed down Sindhu’s head-to-head record against the Spaniard to 4-5. Sindhu had last defeated Marin in the BWF Super Series in Dubai last year.
Earlier, Viktor Axelsen of Denmark clinched the men’s singles title beating Chinese Taipei’s Tien Chen Chou in straight games. Third seed Axelsen took just 36 minutes to edge past Chou 21-13 21-10 to claim his maiden India Open title at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
Editor's Picks »
- Policy rethink and higher volumes to aid container shippers
- DCB Bank delivers a strong Q2 but pressure on margins foreseen
- Havells India: Rising costs give a jolt to profitability in September quarter
- All’s well at Mindtree, except for high client concentration risk
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed