2018 Commonwealth Games: Neeraj Chopra wins gold in javelin throw
Neeraj Chopra today became the first Indian javelin thrower to claim a gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games , with a season’s best effort of 86.47m in the final in Gold Coast
Gold Coast: Neeraj Chopra on Saturday became the first Indian javelin thrower to claim a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games, with a season’s best effort of 86.47m in the final in Gold Coast.
The 20-year-old junior world champion had made the final after achieving the qualifying mark in his very first throw yesterday.
Neeraj was favourite for gold here after his 85.94m throw last month at Patiala during Federation Cup National Championships.
The field had been depleted after Olympics and world silver medallist Julius Yego of Kenya failed to qualify for final round, while 2012 Olympic champion and Rio Games bronze winner Keshorn Walcott opted out of the CWG.
This is the biggest moment of his nascent career since the junior world gold, for which he set a record.
- FIFA World Cup 2018 heading for record number of penalties
- Why fans shouldn’t cry for Lionel Messi and Argentina
- FIFA World Cup: How a loss or draw in the opening match impacts top teams
- 2018 FIFA World Cup: Tiki-taka meets its match in ‘bodies on the line’
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Why there are no classic No.10s in Russia
Editor's Picks »
- WhatsApp to offer 24-hour customer support for its payments services in India
- Vodafone-Idea merger may get delayed as DoT looking to raise fresh demand of Rs4,700 crore
- PM Modi says violence can never solve any problem
- Narendra Modi inaugurates Delhi Metro’s Mundka-Bahadurgarh section
- Heads of 11-state owned banks to appear before parliamentary panel on Tuesday