2018 Commonwealth Games: India claim maiden badminton mixed team gold
Indian pair Satwik Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa claimed the mixed doubles match, before Kidambi Srikanth stunned three-time Olympic silver medallist Lee Chong Wei in straight games
Gold Coast (Australia):The legendary but on the wane Lee Chong Wei was one of the casualties as a rampaging Indian mixed badminton team claimed its maiden Commonwealth Games gold medal, thrashing three-time defending champions Malaysia in the final at Gold Coast on Monday.
The pair of Satwik Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa claimed the mixed doubles match against Peng Soon Chan and Liu Yong Goh 21-14 15-21 21-15, before Kidambi Srikanth stunned three-time Olympic silver medallist Lee 21-17 21-14 in straight games.
The Games debutant men’s doubles pair of Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty lost to Goh and Wee Kiong Tan 15-21 20-22 to keep Malaysia afloat for a while.
But the in-form Saina Nehwal put paid to the Malaysian hopes with a 21-11 19-21 21-9 win over Soniia Cheah in the women’s singles match.
The Indian, who has played every one of the women’s singles matches in the event, did look a bit jaded but still had enough in her arsenal to thwart a fighting Cheah.
Her victory ensured that the women’s doubles pair of N. Sikki Reddy and Ashwini did not have to show up for their clash against Vivian Hoo and Mei Kuan Chow.
Editor's Picks »
- Opinion | Reviewing the Competition Act
- North-east monsoon set to make its onset around 26 October: IMD
- Audi’s electric SUV faces 4-week delay because of software bug
- Five of top-10 Indian firms add ₹31,381 crore in m-cap, ITC tops the chart
- September GST returns filing date extended by 5 days to 25 October
- Policy rethink and higher volumes to aid container shippers
- DCB Bank delivers a strong Q2 but pressure on margins foreseen
- Havells India: Rising costs give a jolt to profitability in September quarter
- All’s well at Mindtree, except for high client concentration risk
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed