App Radar: Cool new apps for iOS and Android
The latest crop of apps include a photo editing app with tools for selfie enthusiasts and a privacy-oriented browser
A study by App Annie, published on 27 June, suggests that the golden era of app economy is yet to come. The study points out that people are interacting more with apps and are also spending more money on them, and this is likely to increase in the coming years. Time spent interacting on apps is likely to double to 6.3 billion hours by 2021, and the average spending on in-app purchases is expected to grow from $379 per person in 2016 to $1,008 in the next five years, the study claims. This will attract more big players and the quality of apps and game is likely to get better in the future. For now, you can check out some of these cool apps and games.
Mozilla’s privacy-oriented browser Focus is now available to Android users. Its key highlight is the built-in tools which keeps users’ online activity private by preventing advertisers form tracking their activities. Without the advertisements, pages also load a lot faster. Multiple tabs are also restricted so you cannot open more than one web page at a time. It has an ad tracker counter which shows the number of ads that have been blocked in every website.
NextUP-Stream Great Stand-Up
Rs280 per month (Free for 1 month)
NextUp offers videos by world renowned stand-up comedy artists such as Lou Sanders, Tony Law and Marcel Lucont. Users can even save them for offline access. It has a trending section where you can see the top videos of the week. The rest of the categories are a little unique and based on the popularity of the artists such as contemporary greats, household heroes or rising stars.
LightX Photo Editor
Popular photo editing app LightX has been released for Android users finally. Developed by Indian start-up Andor Communications, the app offers professional level editing tools. Users can cut out photos and superimpose them in another photo. It allows photos to be merged together and then use tools which can blend them so well that it will look like one single photo. The app also offers features for selfie fans such as face filters and beautification tools.
Spirly is a unique wallpaper app, which offers 3D live wallpapers based on abstract themes. Users can use one of the free or paid themes from the apps’ library or create their own themes by applying new colours in the background or foreground and by changing the size and style of motion of the plasma ball or the spirograph used in the wallpaper. This gives the interface a unique and lively appearance.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Part of Sega’s Forever games pack, Sonic The Hedgehog is a modern take on the classic Java game of the same name. This is a side-facing runner game on the lines of Super Mario. The difference lies on the graphics and gameplay. Sega’s game is a lot faster and offers the option to spin in the air. Unlike Super Mario, the visuals have not been upgraded, but you can now play in widescreen. It is worth a try for the retro looks which is rare in today’s times.
- OnePlus 6 review: OnePlus’ finest is still punching above its weight
- Smartron tband review: This fitness band also has a blood pressure monitor
- Google’s music and video streaming options are very confusing
- Google’s Duplex AI robot will warn that calls are recorded
- Oppo Realme 1 review: Another budget smartphone you can’t ignore
Editor's Picks »
- Karnataka govt formation: Kingmaker H.D. Kumaraswamy becomes the king
- CLAT 2018: Supreme Court to hear pleas challenging law entrance exam held on 13 May
- Grasim Industries Q4 net profit at Rs 853.62 crore
- Govt waives Rs1,077 crore penal interest on loans to Paradip Port
- Hyatt brings Hyatt Centric brand to India
- Same-store sales growth trips at Future Retail
- Cipla Q4 FY18 results no reason to reverse stock underperformance
- Dr Reddy’s Q4: It’s a wait and watch, share price spike notwithstanding
- What SBI Q4 results say about the Indian economy and the bank
- Patanjali’s slowing growth does not mean that Colgate’s is accelerating