Rs500 phone: Reliance Jio may launch 4G VoLTE feature phone soon, says report
Reliance Jio may lauch a Rs500 4G VoLTE feature phone in July, which will be made available in the market by August
New Delhi: Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio is set to launch new 4G VoLTE feature phone, which could be one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, handsets in the Indian market at a price of Rs500, says a report in The Economic Times.
The report claims that the phone may be launched in July and will be made available in the market by August. The feature phone is likely to be launched at the annual general meet of Reliance Industries Ltd on 21 July, report added.
The report cites Rajiv Sharma, HSBC director and telecom analyst as saying that that the phone has been subsidized by Reliance. Each handset is subsidized to as much as $10-$15 (Rs650-975 by Reliance to sell it at Rs500 ($8), the report suggests. The low cost of the phone will lure 2G subscribers to directly switch to 4G.
This will be a feature phone which may have limited features as compared to a regular smart phone. The phone might have a small screen and will come loaded with its own customized apps.
The report points at Jio’s ambitious plans to flood the market with its 4G devices by 15 August. It has placed orders for 18-20 million phones with prominent Chinese original device manufacturers (ODMs). Prominent Chinese companies such Zhejiang Techain Electronics Technology Co., Shenzhen CHINO-E Communication Co, Crave and Megaphone, have reportedly been roped in by Reliance.
- Crime linked to Blockchain soars 629% in Q1, says report
- IBM builds Artificial Intelligence machine that can debate with humans
- Not just IRCTC app, Indian Railways now has an app for almost every service it offers
- Wikipedia edit-a-thons: Fighting the fake news menace, one edit at a time
- Affective gaming goes to the next level
Editor's Picks »
- With fall of the last dove, MPC minutes portend more than one RBI rate hike
- RITES IPO ticks the valuations box, but not the growth one
- Is Reliance Jio really India’s most profitable telecom firm?
- How US-China trade war will affect India
- Dear ICICI Bank board, giving a red card to Chanda Kochhar is not enough