Google finally adds support for other email accounts in Gmail app for iOS
Google’s new design update also supports the iPhone X’s display
Google has been on an update spree with its apps for the iOS platform, particularly with the support for the iPhone X’s display and the notch design. Just recently, the high-profile update was for the Google Maps app. Now, the popular Gmail app has been updated too, but it is not just about the looks.
The newest Gmail app, listed as version 5.0.171119 on the App Store, takes full advantage of the vertically taller display of the iPhone X, and spreads app elements around the notch which is integrated into the display at the top. Thus far, the Gmail app on iOS looked a lot like how it would on other iPhones, which meant that on this taller display, you would see black colour bars at the top and bottom.
The latest update which is being rolled out for Gmail on iOS also brings it at par with the Android app, with multi-account support being added for third-party email service providers. Users on Android, for many years now, could use the Gmail app to also access mails from other email providers they may have signed up with. Gmail on iOS will also be able to now access emails from Apple’s iCloud, Microsoft’s Outlook, Hotmail and Office365 accounts, Yahoo Mail and also support for IMAP email protocol accounts.
For a while now, Gmail on iOS had lagged behind rival apps such as Boxer and Microsoft Outlook, simply because it was restricted to just Gmail accounts. This update does add a lot more versatility to the Gmail app on the iPhone and iPad.
As always, the Gmail update is Live on the App Store.
- Samsung Galaxy A8s launched in China: Specifications, more details on under display camera
- Samsung Galaxy A8s with screen hole design to launch today
- Nokia 8.1 to launch in India today: Expected price, specifications
- Honor 8C to go on first sale today: Price, offers, features
- Apple Watch will send notification if it detects irregular heart rhythm
Editor's Picks »
- Urjit Patel: The independent-minded RBI governor who found his voice
- Banks, ArcelorMittal oppose Essar Steel proposal
- Google+ shutdown speeds up, new privacy bug affected 52.5 million users
- Urjit Patel’s resignation ‘severe blow’ to nation’s economy: Manmohan Singh
- India expresses ‘deep satisfaction’ over UK court’s judgement on Vijay Mallya’s extradition
- The government has a troubling message for minority shareholders
- Opec-allies’ output cut may not amount to big shift in oil prices
- RBI’s new loan rate math for banks cannot ignore deposits
- Maruti loses speed as PV growth slows amid rising challenges
- Risks emerge for Ramakrishna Forgings, Bharat Forge, Motherson Sumi as heavy-duty trucks face headwinds