PES 2018 for smartphones works on several levels, but we were expecting more
PES 2018 for mobile is a letdown for fans who were expecting something more ground breaking
Konami has repackaged PES 2017 football game for mobile devices and is calling it PES 2018. It still works online and takes up 1.3GB of storage space post installation. If you already have PES 2017 on your smartphone, it will be replaced once the new game is installed.
The player faces’ have been improved and look a lot like their real-life counterparts. Photos in squad management have been updated too. Subtle changes have been made in the game too. New options such as Chip Shot and Controlled Shot have been added. The in-game animations have been improved for more effect. But the overall gameplay hasn’t changed. The way the players move, react and in-game controls are similar to the predecessor. Beating opponents at higher difficulty levels is going to be immensely challenging and frustrating.
Konami is making the rooster of legendry players, first seen in the console version of PES 2018, available in the mobile game as well. David Beckham is the first legend in the mobile game. More players will be added soon.
The rooster for contemporary players has been updated according to the latest transfers for the 2017-18 season. Player ratings have been improved too to reflect their true potential. You can also improve player ratings in less time and fewer training sessions.
The online game mode is now called Play Distant Owners. It offers more options. So, now you can play online matches in real time against others players, or challenge a friend or a top ranked player for a match. However, a match-up in this mode takes longer to start and depends on the availability of the other player as well.
Also no new stadiums have been added in the game. All matches will still be played in the fictional Konami stadium, which you can rename later. Match officials are still missing in the game.
Another area where PES/Winning Eleven franchise has suffered since its beginning is team licensing. PES 2018 for mobile is no different. Real Madrid is still called MD White, while Manchester City is known as Man Blue. Those who have played PES 2017 and were expecting a major overhaul in terms of gameplay or graphics will be a little disappointed. The only consolation is that the gameplay is a lot superior compared to EA Sports’s FIFA Mobile or FirstTouch Sports’s Dream League Soccer.
Price: Free (In-app purchases: Rs80 to Rs7,900)
Available on: Android, iOS
Tested on: Xiaomi Mi A1 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 octa-core chipset, 4GB RAM, Adreno 506 GPU and 64GB storage)
Editor's Picks »
- AU Small Finance Bank to raise Rs1,000 crore from Temasek to fuel growth
- HDFC Bank may rely on Indian market for $2.3 billion share sale
- Yes Bank gets Sebi nod for custodian of securities business
- Govt to meet fiscal deficit target of 3.3% despite being election year: Piyush Goyal
- Arun Jaitley hints at no cut in excise duty on petrol, diesel
- RBI wants banks to discipline Indian corporates on working capital
- For stressed power assets resolution, patience is the virtue for banks, govt
- Exide’s valuation zooms as it claws back market share lost to Amara Raja
- Trapped in mid-cap stocks? What investors should do
- TCS share buyback shows absurdities of India’s repurchase rules