How to use Offline mode and smart compose in Gmail
Gmail is getting two new features which can help users draft emails faster and access inbox even when they are offline
After updating Gmail for web last month, Google had announced a few more features that would arrive soon. They now have— called Smart compose and Offline mode, and are now rolling out on Chrome web browser.
In case you are interested in the new features, here are a few simple steps to enable and use them.
Drafting a long email can be time taking and frustrating. Google is trying to make the process of drafting a mail a lot simpler with a new AI (artificial intelligence) backed tool called Smart Compose.
Inspired by the predictive text input feature in Keyboard apps, smart compose can suggest an entire sentence or phrases relevant to the context of what has already been drafted by users in the compose Email page. For instance, if a user types the recipient’s email address first, Smart Compose will immediately suggest a short intro with greetings and the recipient’s name in faded text. Similarly, inside an email, it will show suggestions based on users’ typing history, text input to predict what would come next to a particular word.
If the suggestion is relevant, users can select them by tapping the tab button. If not they can ignore it and it will be disappear automatically.
This feature can reduce the time wasted by users on drafting long and repetitive emails.
To activate the feature user have to switch to the new Gmail by tapping on the Try New Gmail tab at the top of the Settings page. Once the new layout loads, users need to go to the General tab in Settings and scroll down until they come across the Experimental Access tab with the option to enable it.
Google is rolling out native offline support to Gmail, allowing users to access inbox, read emails, and even schedule messages without having to download the Gmail offline app for the Chrome browser first. To activate the feature, go to Settings->Offline and click on the enable Offline mail option. The offline page also provides the option to store emails for offline access from up to last 30 days along with the separate option to download attachments. Activating these will automatically download the email from last 30 days with attachments on the PC. To ensure your offline data is not misused Gmail gives the option to delete all offline data automatically if the user logs out of the Google account.
- Samsung Galaxy A8s launched in China: Specifications, more details on under display camera
- Samsung Galaxy A8s with screen hole design to launch today
- Nokia 8.1 to launch in India today: Expected price, specifications
- Honor 8C to go on first sale today: Price, offers, features
- Apple Watch will send notification if it detects irregular heart rhythm
Editor's Picks »
- Faulty hip implants: J&J says looking for speedy resolution
- Axis Bank offers home-loan with higher principal repayment component
- China to plan revised technology program: Report
- K Chandrashekar Rao eyes the national stage a day after he conquers Telangana
- Virat Kohli engineered Kumble’s exit, leaked email suggests
- Escorts: Japanese joint venture to hone growth in tractors
- HCL Tech’s acquisition of IBM products raises more questions than answers
- Investors ignore NMDC’s price cuts, and worry about its Donimalai iron ore mine instead
- Steel stocks get winter chill as China demand issues resurface
- Why Uday Kotak’s defiance is scaring his bank’s investors