Today we're rolling out an all-new @GoogleNews—using the best of AI to organize what"s happening in the world to help you learn more about the stories that matter to you → https://t.co/z8234zDXU1 #io18 pic.twitter.com/6QkX6x6OiD— Google (@Google) May 8, 2018
Google I/O 2018 Highlights: Sundar Pichai explains how Google Assistant is becoming smarter
Catch all the live updates of Google I/O 2018 here. Google CEO Sundar Pichai is now delivering the keynote address and making important announcements related to Google Assistant, YouTube, Gmail and other Google product
Last Modified: Wed, May 09 2018. 12 10 AM IST
- 11.55 PM IST
- 11.50 PM ISTGoogle unveils features of Android P
- 11.30 PM IST
- 11.22 PM IST
- 11.20 PM IST
- 11.15 PM ISTAndroid, YouTube to have new features
- 11.10 PM IST
- 11.02 PM IST
- 10.55 PM IST
- 10.50 PM ISTPichai rolls out new features of Gmail, Google Photos
- 10.48 PM IST
- 10.46 PM IST
- 10.45 PM IST
- 10.40 PM ISTGoogle training people with digital skills: Sundar Pichai
- 09.55 PM IST
- 09.50 PM ISTGoogle expected to release update on Android P
- Google Inc.’s annual developer conference, the Google I/O, has kicked off at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, California, where CEO Sundar Pichai is making important product and platform announcements.The Google campus has been abuzz with activity for the last 24 hours as developers from all over the world fly in to attend this 3-day tech fest.The I/O features hands-on learning, Google’s latest developer products, sessions on AI, machine learning, cloud, IoT, and technical talks given by the engineers who are developing the latest APIs and tools. Google is known to spring a few surprises along the way.Like last year, the emphasis will remain on AI and machine learning. The company is also expected to unveil a new app for news that combines elements of its Google Play Newsstand app and YouTube.
- 11.55 PM IST Google’s Sameer Samat: “Finding the right balance with technology is more important than ever. We found that 70% of people want help with digital well being, so we added some capabilities right into Android P. It will show you a dashboard of your habits, how many times you have unlocked your device, how many notifications you have etc.Notifications are too tempting and distracting so changes are coming to ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode to not just silence calls and texts, but also minimize the visual disruptions. You can also tell your Google Assistant when you want to “wind down.” Digital Wellbeing is coming to Android P this fall, starting with Google Pixel.All this will be available on Android P beta will be available on Google Pixel and seven more flagship devices from brands like Nokia, Vivo, Xiaomi, OnePlus and Sony starting today.
- 11.50 PM IST Google unveils features of Android PDave Burke says Android P will predict the actions you want to take on your phone.If you type Lyft into the Google Search app, you’ll see a Slice of the app in the search results, and you can order the app directly from that page.App Actions and Slices will be available to developers early next month, so we should see more of these tools coming to Android P when it launches, he said.New ML kit for developers offering resources for developers - that is built on TensorFlow Lite and works on both Android and iOs. Android P will have a special emphasis on simplicity. Android P will feature new gesture navigation. “The first striking thing you’ll notice is a single clean home button” at the bottom of the screen.Volume control: New simplified volume controls located vertically, slider adjusts the volume by default. “We have also simplified the rotation feature. All these features are aimed at simplifying the user experience.”: Burke.
- 11.20 PM IST On Google News, Pichai says it is foundational to how journalism works. Pichai talks of his fondness for news saying that they have committed 300 million dollars to help journalists develop innovative products for news. “People turn to Google in times of need for news so we have reimagined the news product. Using AI to get quality sources for news - announcing the new Google News,” he said.
- 11.10 PM IST “Our vision for assistant is to help you get things done. And most of this happens via phone. We are helping users to connect to businesses in a good way. Even in the US Small businesses don’t have an online presence. Example, if you want to make an appointment for a haircut, the Assistant will actually calls the salon to make an appointment for you,” Pichai said.Google Assistant can actually understanding the nuances of this technology that is called Google Duplex, he said.“You can go to the Assistant page by swiping up and get a snapshot of your day, with information like the weather, upcoming flights, notes and orders. This new home page has “AI at the core” and will launch on Android in the summer and iPhone later this year,” Sundar Pichai said.GA will also come to navigation in Google Maps this summer.
- 11.02 PM IST One big focus of Sundar Pichai’s speech is Google Assistant. American singer John Legend’s voice is coming to Assistant. Scott Huffman just stepped onstage to tell us more about Assistant, which was announced two years ago here at I/O.GA launched in India and it is doing very well. By the end of this year, Assistant will be available in more than 80 countries and more than 30 languages.It is getting more conversational and visually assistive: Pichai
- 10.50 PM IST Pichai rolls out new features of Gmail, Google PhotosSundar Pichai talks about the new feature on Gmail: smart compose using machine learning will start suggesting phrases as you type. “Rolling this out to all users,” Pichai said. Google Photos will have a new feature called suggested actions. “Say you’re looking at pictures from a wedding. The system will see that you have three pictures with your friend Lisa, and suggest you send them to her,” Pichai said.Google Assistant is now available in 6 new voices.
- 10.40 PM IST Google training people with digital skills: Sundar PichaiSundar Pichai says Google has been training people with digital skills. They trained 25,000 people last year and we expect that number to grow to 60,000.Pichai is excited by the progress they’re seeing in AI, which he says creates new ways to solve problems for users. Last year, they launched Google AI, to further research in that area.
- 09.50 PM IST Google expected to release update on Android PUpdates to Android platform “P” are also expected at Google I/O. Android “P” is the next version of the Android operating system after Android O (Oreo). Google has already released the first Android P developer preview and more updates are expected to be announced at the I/O.
First Published: Tue, May 08 2018. 09 49 PM IST
- Job creation still a challenge after four years of Modi govt
- With demonetisation and GST, Indian economy gets more formal in 4 years of Modi govt
- Tax reforms in four years of Modi govt: GST makes tax evasion tougher
- Development became vibrant over last 4 years: Narendra Modi
- Arun Jaitley says political debate to focus on Narendra Modi versus ‘anarchist combination’
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars