Active Stocks
Sat May 18 2024 12:29:54
  1. Tata Motors share price
  2. 953.75 0.85%
  1. Power Grid Corporation Of India share price
  2. 316.10 0.88%
  1. ITC share price
  2. 436.50 -0.02%
  1. Tata Steel share price
  2. 167.90 0.39%
  1. State Bank Of India share price
  2. 820.35 0.31%
Business News/ Auto News / Mercedes Benz India launches G 350 D luxury SUV, price starts at 1.5 crore
BackBack

Mercedes Benz India launches G 350 D luxury SUV, price starts at ₹1.5 crore

Mercedes G 350 D is the first diesel variant in the luxury carmaker's off-road G-Class sport utility vehicles
  • With bookings for the SUV starting today, the German carmaker said it will import the G 350 D as a completely built unit
  • Mercedes-Benz India claims to command 40% market share in the luxury car segment as of today. Photo: MintPremium
    Mercedes-Benz India claims to command 40% market share in the luxury car segment as of today. Photo: Mint

    Leader in the luxury car segment, Mercedes Benz India Pvt Ltd on Wednesday launched the G 350 D at a starting price of 1.5 crore (ex-showroom) in Mumbai. The Mercedes G 350 D is the first diesel variant in the luxury carmaker's off-road G-Class sport utility vehicles (SUVs).

    The G 350 D is powered by BSVI compliant, 2.9 liter, six-cylinder engine, which is capable of delivering a maximum output of 286 horsepower and peak torque of 600Nm. The engine is mated to a 9-speed all-wheel drive, which, the company claims, is designed to send 60% of the torque to the rear axle and remaining 40% to the front axle. This translates into driver-friendly handling characteristics, especially on the off-road terrains.

    With bookings for the SUV starting today, the German carmaker said it will import the G 350 D as a completely built unit (CBU).

    Martin Schwenk, managing director and chief executive officer, Mercedes-Benz India said the new luxury SUV offers several customisation options on the interior and the exterior of the vehicle ranging from handcrafted upholstery to more than six alloy wheel options.

    Mercedes-Benz's first luxury SUV from its G-Class portfolio was the G 55 model, which was launched in 2011 as a CBU.

    On sales, the MD said the company has retailed more than 10,000 cars so far in calendar year (CY) 2019 and the retails in Q3CY19 registered a sequential growth of 25%, thanks to the delivery of 200 cars during the Navratri and Dussehra earlier this month.

    Schwenk, however, does not expect the company to match last year's retail numbers, which stood at over 15,000 units in CY2018. "The market has clearly bottomed out, I feel. I see recovery in the sentiments of the luxury car buyers. We look forward to launching more cars in the next months," he told Mint on the sidelines of the launch today.

    Mercedes-Benz India claims to command 40% market share in the luxury car segment as of today.


    Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed - it's all here, just a click away! Login Now!

    Catch all the Auto News and Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.
    More Less
    Published: 16 Oct 2019, 03:15 PM IST
    Next Story footLogo
    Recommended For You
    Petrochemical Stocks
    ₹8,779.40.14%
    ₹5,090.70.05%
    ₹2,514.45-0.4%
    ₹12,643.85-0.35%
    ₹945.750.85%