I would like to open Trading and Demat Account with Motilal Oswal Financial Service Ltd (MOFSL) and give my consent to open the same through online mode. I’m ok with MOFSL sending me primatial communications for any offerings on my registered mobile number thought Call, email, SMS, WhatsApp or any other medium even if I’m registered under DND.
Account Opening, personal advisor & Research
₹ 20 Per Lot
Options (Equity & Currency)
Intraday & Futures (Equity & Commodity)
For 1st Month on FnO Trading (upto ₹ 1000)
For 1st Year
Free AMC and Admin Charges
Other Benefits of opening a demat account with Motilal Oswal
Lowest-brokerage - the new beau
Research based expert assistance
No Paper, 100% Online Demat Account
Multiple products on 1 platform
What is Demat Account?
A Demat account, or De- materialised account, is a digital repository offered by registered depository participants to facilitate the electronic holding and trading of various financial securities. These securities include stocks, bonds, mutual funds, government securities, and exchange-traded funds. Unlike traditional physical certificates, a Demat account converts these securities into electronic format, streamlining the investment and trading process.
FAQ’s on Demat Account
The key features are:
1. Electronic Holding: A Demat account securely holds and tracks a range of financial instruments, replacing the need for physical certificates and reducing the risk of loss, damage, or theft.
2. Efficient Trading: It enables seamless buying and selling of securities through electronic transactions. This eliminates the paperwork and time-consuming processes associated with physical share certificates.
3. Quick Settlement: Demat accounts expedite settlement of trades, ensuring faster delivery of securities and funds, which enhances liquidity and reduces settlement risks.
4. Portfolio Management:Investors can monitor their holdings in real-time, access transaction history, and receive regular statements, enabling effective portfolio management.
5. Nomination Facility: A Demat account allows investors to nominate a beneficiary who can claim the holdings in the event of the account holder's demise.
The benefits are:
1. Convenience: Investors can access and manage their holdings online, enabling 24/7 monitoring and trading from the comfort of their homes.
2.Reduced Paperwork: The elimination of physical certificates minimizes administrative hassles, making the investment process more environmentally friendly and efficient.
3. Safe and Secure: Demat accounts provide a secure platform for holding securities, reducing the risk of loss due to theft, forgery, or damage.
4. Cost-Effective: It eliminates the costs associated with printing, handling, and transferring physical certificates, making transactions more cost-effective in the long run.
5.Simplified Processes: Demat accounts simplify processes like stock split, bonus issues, and dividends, as these are automatically credited to the account.
6. Access to IPOs and FPOs: Demat account holders get privileged access to Initial Public Offerings (IPOs) and Follow-on Public Offerings (FPOs) directly through their accounts.
There are primarily three types of Demat accounts, each designed to cater to specific needs and categories of investors:
1. Regular Demat Account: This is the standard type of Demat account suitable for individual investors. It allows you to hold a variety of financial securities such as stocks, bonds, government securities, and mutual fund units in electronic form. Regular Demat accounts are versatile and can accommodate different types of investments.
2. Repatriable Demat Account: This type of Demat account is meant for Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) who wish to repatriate funds back to their foreign accounts. It is used to hold and manage securities acquired through investments made using funds from foreign sources.
3. Non-Repatriable Demat Account: Similar to the repatriable account, this Demat account is also for NRIs. However, it is used to hold and manage securities acquired through investments made using funds from non-repatriable sources, such as income earned in India. The funds and securities held in this account cannot be repatriated.
It's advisable to understand the terms and conditions of the Demat account offered by a particular depository participant or financial institution before opening an account to ensure it meets your investment goals and requirements.
In India, the following individuals and entities are eligible to open a Demat account:
1. Resident Individuals: Any Indian citizen who resides within the country can open a Demat account. This includes adults, minors (with a guardian), and Hindu Undivided Families (HUFs).
2. Non-Resident Indians (NRIs): NRIs are eligible to open Demat accounts to hold and manage their investments in Indian securities. They can open either a Repatriable or Non-Repatriable Demat account based on the source of funds.
3. Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs): FIIs, as registered with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), can open Demat accounts to hold the securities they invest in within the country.
4. Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs): FPIs, including sub-accounts and qualified foreign investors (QFIs), can open Demat accounts to facilitate their investment activities in Indian securities markets.
5. Corporate Entities: Companies, partnerships, trusts, and other corporate entities are eligible to open Demat accounts to hold securities related to their investment activities.
6. Mutual Funds and Financial Institutions: Mutual funds and financial institutions can also hold securities in Demat accounts, as they manage portfolios on behalf of their investors.
It's important to note that the eligibility criteria might vary slightly based on the type of Demat account and the depository participant or financial institution through which you choose to open the account. Additionally, individuals and entities might need to provide specific documentation, such as proof of identity, address, and relevant approvals, depending on their status and the purpose of the Demat account.