IPO plans hit by West Asia war, firms recalibrate listings amid volatility

Priyamvada CSneha Shah
4 min read1 Apr 2026, 04:30 PM IST
logo
The market has also begun to see instances of companies cancelling their IPO plans entirely.
Summary
Other companies including Turtlemint, Indo-Mim, Inframarket, Symbiotech Pharmalabs, Duroflex, and KKR-backed Leap India are also taking a more calibrated approach for a public listing in the current market volatility triggered by the West Asia war.

Mumbai: The current stock market volatility triggered by the West Asia war has pushed many companies to reassess their timelines for an initial public offering (IPO), with Curefoods being the latest startup to indicate unfavourable market conditions.

“We are closely monitoring the macroeconomic environment and capital market conditions to identify the most opportune time for our listing,” a spokesperson for Curefoods, a Bengaluru-based cloud kitchen operator, told Mint in an emailed statement.

Other companies including Turtlemint, Indo-Mim, Inframarket, Symbiotech Pharmalabs, Duroflex, and KKR-backed Leap India are also taking a more calibrated approach for a public listing in the current climate, multiple people familiar with the matter said. All these companies have secured approval from market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) to go public, according to data from Prime Database.

Some of these companies have temporarily paused or deferred their IPO preparations due to concerns over valuations amid a turbulent stock market, two people said on the condition of anonymity. Last month, PhonePe announced it will temporarily halt its IPO plans due to geopolitical tensions and instability in global capital markets. The other companies cited in this news story did not respond to Mint’s requests for comment.

Also Read | The week in charts: Inflation target, IPO deadlines, pollution, GDP growth cut

“The recent pause in IPO activity reflects a rational recalibration rather than a structural shift in market appetite. Heightened global volatility, persistent macro uncertainties, and uneven liquidity conditions have led issuers to defer listings in favour of better price discovery and stronger investor participation,” said Raghav Gupta, joint chief executive officer (CEO), IIFL Capital.

He added that the underlying pipeline remains robust, with strong businesses opting to wait for a more conducive market windows rather than compromise on valuation. “We expect activity to revive as visibility on interest rates, geopolitical developments, and earnings trajectories improves,” Gupta said.

Market turbulence

Broadly, the West Asia war has drained momentum from Indian equities. Nearly half of the Nifty 500 stocks—242 companies—were trading close to 52-week lows, compared to just 61 near their highs, according to National Stock Exchange (NSE) data on 30 March, highlighting the depth of the sell-off, Mint reported earlier this week.

Experts have warned that persistent geopolitical tensions are unlikely to allow a quick reversal of losses, deepening caution that has triggered fund outflows and a slowdown in growth. On Monday, the last trading day of FY26, the Nifty 50 dropped 2.14% to 22,331, while the Sensex fell 2.22% to 71,947—taking the Nifty 50’s losses since the start of the Iran-US war to 11.38%.

Also Read | Startups trade Wall Street dreams for robust IPOs back in India

Prime Database’s managing director Pranav Haldea also alluded to companies adopting a wait-and-watch mode for those that have already secured approval till they see some semblance of stability. “Like the last few years, we might see a lot of issues bunched up towards the second half of the calendar year as markets are not very conducive presently,” he said.

“The primary market always follows the secondary market. If people are already moving out of existing listed companies, where there is track record and information availability, and there is a general risk-off sentiment, they have lesser risk appetite for new companies,” said Haldea. “Valuation also becomes tricky because a large part of it is down to benchmarking with existing listed peers, which themselves may be undergoing a steep market correction.”

To add to the woes, the Indian currency has depreciated 4.23% against the dollar since the US-Isareli war with Iran began on 28 February, slipping to 94.8 on Monday. This has sparked a widespread selloff by foreign institutional investors, curbing listing sentiment of several large companies.

There are likely to be smaller issues to gauge investor response once the market begins to rebound. The initial candidates that usually go public are companies that are either in dire need of capital or are under pressure from their existing shareholders for an exit.

Also Read | PE, VC exits: Block deals extend lead over IPOs for big money

Companies that are likely to see their Sebi approval expire are also likely to push through the volatility and list in the public markets. “The underlying factor in all these scenarios is that they have to accept a significant valuation haircut from what they may have been expecting earlier,” Haldea said.

The market has also begun to see instances of companies cancelling their IPO plans entirely. Earlier this week, XED Executive Development, the first company from India's low-tax GIFT City, withdrew its issue after delays with customer verification and weak market sentiments due to the West Asia conflict. The company said it hopes to tap the market at an appropriate time in the future.

With multiple geopolitical headwinds, companies have historically pursued dual-track listings where they keep options for private fundraising open even as they pursue a public market offering. Last year, Avanse Financial withdrew its IPO plans and instead raised 1,374 crore through a rights issue from existing shareholders.

Similarly, Advent-owned Manjushree Technopack also filed papers for a public listing but eventually called off its IPO plans, with the investment firm offloading its entire stake to private equity firm PAG in a private deal worth nearly $1 billion in 2024.

About the Authors

Priyamvada is a Mumbai-based business journalist at Mint. She writes about the public and private markets with a key focus on venture capital, private equity, M&As and private credit. Her coverage also spans startups and emerging businesses.<br><br>Over the last two years, she has uncovered some of the largest deals and interviewed important decision-makers from India’s investment ecosystem. She likes to dabble across different formats like long forms and explainers. Her work has been consistently displayed on the publication's deals page, and she has also written multiple front-page stories.<br><br>Prior to joining Mint in 2024, she worked out of Reuters’ Bengaluru bureau where she extensively covered the travel, transportation, and logistics industries. Across both her stints, Priyamvada has displayed rigour for breaking news and analyzing interesting data-driven trends. She holds a postgraduate diploma from the Asian College of Journalism's Bloomberg programme. In her free time, she enjoys reading books and trying out different cuisines. She is keen to delve deeper into the various sectors she covers and is always up for a chat. You can reach out to her at priyamvada.c@livemint.com.

Sneha Shah is the editor for deals and startups at Mint. Starting off her career in India’s financial capital as a cub reporter for the Mid-day newspaper in the mid-2000s, she later moved on to decode balance sheets and follow the money trail for some of the leading pink publications in the country. She has been covering India’s deals ecosystem for nearly two decades now, closely tracking private- and public-market funding, startups, private equity, venture capital, and investment banking. From breaking some of the biggest deal stories of the past to doing some incisive deep-dives into the latest trends and turnarounds in the industry, she has witnessed the phenomenal growth and transformation of the country’s investment ecosystem from really close quarters. A graduate in journalism, she has worked with The Economic Times, Financial Chronicle, VCCircle and Mid-Day before starting her second stint at Mint in 2022. As a keen observer of India’s startups ecosystem, she aspires to write a book some day, chronicling some of the most inspiring stories the industry has seen so far in its remarkable journey.

Catch all the Business News , Corporate news , Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.

More