Air India passengers will be able to cancel flight tickets without any charges within 24 hours from today, 1 May. The airline will not charge any cancellation fee within 24 hours of booking a flight ticket, PTI reported.
Here are five things to know about New Air India ticket cancellation policy:
1) According to an Air India circular, this facility will be available only if the flight is scheduled at least seven days after the booking date.
2) A circular issued by Air India's Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) on 24 April said, "It has been decided that for sale and travel, effective May 1, 2019, all domestic tickets will have the free look-in option for change and cancellation as prescribed by the DGCA."
3) The new changes in flight ticket booking have been introduced weeks after the aviation regulator DGCA issued a 'passenger rights charter'. The charter released in February specified the rights of air traveller.
4) "The passenger has an option of cancelling or amending the ticket without any additional charges, that is cancellation or change fee is not applicable, when the same is done within 24 hours of ticketing," as per the circular.
5) Beyond 24 hours of initial booking time, this option is not available and the passenger has to pay the relevant cancellation/change fees for amendment, it added.
The cancellation policy is different for different airlines and depends on many factors. The charges also vary across economy, premium and business classes.
-With inputs from PTI