Active Stocks
Fri Mar 01 2024 15:59:51
  1. Tata Steel share price
  2. 150.00 6.46%
  1. State Bank Of India share price
  2. 769.30 2.67%
  1. Tata Motors share price
  2. 977.20 2.78%
  1. ITC share price
  2. 409.50 0.74%
  1. ICICI Bank share price
  2. 1,086.90 3.18%
Business News/ Economy / India's female micro-entrepreneurs account for 43% of PM SVANidhi loan disbursement: Report
BackBack

India's female micro-entrepreneurs account for 43% of PM SVANidhi loan disbursement: Report

43% of disbursements under PM SVANidhi scheme go to female micro-entrepreneurs

Women selling vegetables (Representative image) (Flickr)Premium
Women selling vegetables (Representative image) (Flickr)

India's female micro-entrepreneurs account for 43% of the total disbursement under the PM Street Vendor's AtmaNirbharNidhi (PM SVANidhi) Scheme, according to the SBI Special report. On the other hand, 57% of males account for the rest of the loan disbursement under the scheme.

Launched during the COVID-19 pandemic on 1 June 2020, PM SVANidhi is a micro-credit scheme for urban street vendors that aims to provide collateral-free loans up to 50,000 in incremental tranches.

As per the report around 70 lakh loans disbursed to date, benefiting over 53 lakh street vendors, with a total value exceeding 9,100 crore.

The scheme provides loans in three tranches (1st Term loan up to 10,000; 2nd term loan up to 20,000 and 3rd term loan up to 50,000).

65% of the borrowers are in the age group of 26-45 under the PM SVANidhi scheme. Among the cities, Varanasi is the top performer where 45% of total spenders are active spenders, followed by Bengaluru, Chennai, and Prayagraj.

Public Sector Banks have disbursed millions of loans to street vendors under the scheme that is designed for the urban poor socio-economic section.

Among the PSBs, the State Bank of India (SBI) has disbursed 31% of the total loans under this scheme, followed by Bank of Baroda (31%), Union Bank of India (10%), and Punjab National Bank (8%), respectively.

At the time of the launch of the scheme, the Centre set a target of 50 lakh street vendors to be covered under PM SVANidhi for the 1st term loan of 10,000. Subsequently, due to high demand (106% of the old target achieved), the target was revised to 63 lakh street vendors. The Centre has set the target of 88.5 lakh street vendors for loan disbursement under the micro-credit scheme till December 2023.

On average, 22% of borrowers of PM SVANidhi are active spenders. However, in some of the states, the active spenders are more than the national average Punjab (32%), Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh (28%) etc. In some of the states, the active spendors are less than the national average such as West Bengal (17%) and Jharkhand (18%).

Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it's all here, just a click away! Login Now!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Mansi Jaswal
I write about gender-related issues, women's rights, women empowerment, gender equality, women's health topics, and their wealth management. Also, profiling women who have fought all odds to make their own identities in their own rights. Before Mint, I worked at Business Today and Business Standard. I studied journalism at IIMC, Delhi. Got a story idea? Email me at mansi.jaswal@htdigital.in
Catch all the Business News, Market News, Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint. Check all the latest action on Budget 2024 here. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.
More Less
Published: 24 Oct 2023, 01:09 PM IST
Next Story footLogo
Recommended For You
Switch to the Mint app for fast and personalized news - Get App