Home / Industry / Energy /  ONGC Videsh announces new discovery in Colombia

NEW DELHI : ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL), the wholly owned subsidiary and overseas arm of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (ONGC) has made an oil discovery in the recently drilled well, Urraca-IX, in CPO-5 block, Llanos Basin, Colombia. 

The well was spudded on 20 April 2022 and drilled to target depth of 10,956 feet, encountering 17 feet thick oil-bearing sands at a depth from 10201-10218 feet, said a company statement. 

“During initial testing with Electrical Submersible Pump (ESP), fluid flowed at approximately 600 barrels/day with around 40-50% W/C and oil of 16o API. Oil discovery in the Lower Mirador play in this well opens up new areas for further exploration in the northern part of the block," it said.

ONGC Videsh has earlier discovered commercial oil in the Lower Sand play in Mariposa and Indico fields in the block in 2017 and 2018 respectively, which are currently commercially producing 20,000 barrel oil per day.

Block CPO-5 was awarded to ONGC Videsh Limited in the 2008 bid round of Colombia. ONGC Videsh holds 70% participating interest in the block along with operatorship, remaining 30% is held by partner Geopark. 

ONGC Videsh has a significant presence in oil and gas sector in Colombia, with three other exploratory blocks in the country and joint ownership of the oil producing company Mansarovar Energy Colombia Ltd (MECL). 

“Oil discovery in a new play in the block with the well Urraca-1X, reiterates the technical and operational prowess of ONGC Videsh and adds one more feather in its cap towards the extensive Exploration and Drilling campaign in Colombia," the company said.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Rituraj Baruah

Rituraj Baruah is a senior correspondent at Mint, reporting on housing, urban affairs, small businesses and energy. He has reported on diverse sectors over the last six years including, commodities and stocks market, insolvency and real estate. He has previous stints at Cogencis Information Services, Indo-Asian News Service (IANS) and Inc42.
Catch all the Industry News, Banking News and Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.
More Less

Recommended For You

Trending Stocks

×
Get alerts on WhatsApp
Set Preferences My ReadsWatchlistFeedbackRedeem a Gift CardLogout