NEW DELHI: From big data applications to cloud computing, some of the top emerging skills in the job market reflect the importance of reskilling for employees and freelancers, according to the latest Upwork Skills Index.
Freelance website Upwork has come out with a list of the top 20 fastest growing skills with the most popular one being Hadoop, an open source software used to store, process and analyze big data applications.
“As technological change keeps accelerating, freelancers are more likely to have the in-demand skills businesses need but might not be able to train up their workforce quickly enough," Stephane Kasriel, CEO of Upwork, said in a blog post.
The index reflects emerging skills and provides real-time validation of current trends in the labour market and tech industry. For the final quarter of 2018, the index includes employee training and learning management solution consulting, suggesting an emerging trend where more people are getting training on the job.
The top 20 fastest-growing skills according to Upwork Skills Index:
1) Hadoop: Open source software used to store, process and analyse big data applications
2) Dropbox API: A powerful API used to create apps that work with files
3) Genetic algorithms: Solving optimisation problems based on natural selection
4) Microbiology: The study of microorganisms
5) Computational linguistics: Create tools for practical tasks like speech recognition
6) Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP): The most popular certification for IT security professionals
7) Digital signal processing: A branch of engineering that is at the heart of the digital revolution
8) Intercom: A customer messaging platform that makes apps for sales, marketing and support
9) Interactive advertising: One of the latest trends in the world of digital marketing
10) Invision: A digital product design platform
11) Employee training: Growth in this area suggests an emerging trend where more people are getting training on the job
12) Kubernetes: An open-source system for automating deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications
13) OAuth: It enables token-based authentication and authorization online and gives employees a safer and more secure way to access data
14) Autodesk Revit: An open-source system for automating deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications
15) App store optimization: Helps in improving the visibility of an app
16) App usability analysis: Design an intuitive, user-centred mobile app
18) Learning Management Solution (LMS) consulting: Create programs that encourage cultures of continuous learning
19) 3D scanning: Involves digital scanning to construct digital 3D models