New issue of sovereign gold bond scheme opens tomorrow. 10 things to know
The Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2022-23 - Series II will be open for subscription for five days from tomorrow, August 22
The issue price for the next tranche of Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme (SGB) 2021-22, which will open for subscription for five days from Monday, has been fixed at ₹5,197 per gram of gold, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said on Friday.
1) The RBI issues the bonds on behalf of the Centre.
2) The bonds will be sold through banks, Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited (SHCIL), designated post offices and recognised stock exchanges -- NSE and BSE.
3) The bonds are denominated in multiples of gram (s) of gold with a basic unit of 1 gram.
4) The tenor of the bond will be for a period of 8 years with an exit option after the 5th year to be exercised on the next interest payment dates.
5) The minimum permissible investment is 1 gram of gold.
6) The maximum limit of subscription is 4 KG for individuals, 4 Kg for HUF and 20 Kg for trusts and similar entities per fiscal (April-March).
7) The Know-your-customer (KYC) norms will be the same as that for the purchase of physical gold.
8) The central government, in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India, has decided to offer a discount of ₹50 per gram, less than the nominal value, to those investors applying online and the payment against the application is made through digital mode.
9) The scheme was launched in November 2015 with an objective to reduce the demand for physical gold and shift a part of the domestic savings -- used for the purchase of gold -- into financial savings.
10) The price of the bond is fixed in Indian currency on the basis of a simple average closing price of gold of 999 purity, published by the India Bullion and Jewellers Association Limited for the last 3 working days of the week preceding the subscription period.
Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it's all here, just a click away! Login Now!
Get the best recommendations on Stocks, Mutual Funds and more based on your Risk profile!Let’s get started