Active Stocks
Tue Apr 16 2024 15:59:30
  1. Tata Steel share price
  2. 160.05 -0.53%
  1. Infosys share price
  2. 1,414.75 -3.65%
  1. NTPC share price
  2. 359.40 -0.54%
  1. State Bank Of India share price
  2. 751.90 -0.65%
  1. HDFC Bank share price
  2. 1,509.40 0.97%
Business News/ Mutual Funds / Mutual funds: Small towns join big players, says report
BackBack

Mutual funds: Small towns join big players, says report

The MFs’ asset in Maharashtra was up 27 per cent last month at ₹21.69-lakh crore against ₹17.14-lakh crore logged in January 2023. The State accounted for 41 per cent of overall average AUM of the industry at ₹52.89-lakh crore last month.

The assets of New Delhi, Karnataka and Gujarat grew 30 per cent each year-on yearPremium
The assets of New Delhi, Karnataka and Gujarat grew 30 per cent each year-on year

The average asset under management of 52.89-lakh crore of top five States and Union Territories (UTs) including Maharashtra, New Delhi, Karnataka, Gujarat and West Bengal accounted for 68 per cent of the mutual fund industry last month, reported Business Line.

However, the top-5 States’ share fell marginally from 69 per cent as new entrants in the mutual fund space are making inroads in smaller cities, shows ICRA Analytics data. 

In fact, the smaller States and UTs beyond the top 10 also saw a steady surge in investments into mutual funds

The MFs’ asset in Maharashtra was higher by 27 per cent last month at 21.69-lakh crore against 17.14-lakh crore logged in January 2023. The State accounted for 41 per cent of overall average AUM of the industry at 52.89-lakh crore last month.

The assets of New Delhi, Karnataka and Gujarat at 4.52-lakh crore, 3.65-lakh crore and 3.61-lakh crore grew 30 per cent each year-on year, while that of West Bengal at 2.74-lakh crore was up 28 per cent.

Top 10 states

It is interesting to note that the top 10 States accounted for nearly 87 per cent of the total average AUM of mutual funds with the remaining States and UTs accounting for around 13 per cent. 

Among the Top 10, Tamil Nadu saw a growth of 34 per cent at 2.41-lakh crore; Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan were higher by 37 per cent and 38 per cent at 2.42-lakh crore and 96,619 crore, respectively, while the share of Madhya Pradesh increased by 39 per cent to 81,388 crore.

The growth beyond the top 10 States has also been impressive with Puducherry and Tripura recording 31 per cent and 38 per cent growth at 3,193 crore and 2,053 crore, respectively, while Manipur witnessed a 4x surge to 3,726 crore and that of Lakshadweep was up 10 times to 169 crore.

Sanjay Pawar, Managing Director, Smart Financial Planners, said the wealth creation is getting democratised with emergence of many corporates now focusing on regional markets and inflows are increasing despite SEBI withdrawing special incentives given to attract investment from B-30 cities. 

Ashwini Kumar, Head Market Data, ICRA Analytics, said the surge in asset from smaller States was due to growing interest among retail investors for investing in equities through the MF route and the opening up of branches of asset management companies beyond the top 30 towns.

He emphasised that as the middle class grows, an increasing number of individuals are turning to financial planning, particularly through SIPs, to accumulate savings.

Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it's all here, just a click away! Login Now!

Catch all the Mutual Fund news and updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.
More Less
Published: 14 Feb 2024, 04:47 PM IST
Next Story footLogo
Recommended For You
Switch to the Mint app for fast and personalized news - Get App