OPEN APP
Home >News >India >28,252 cases of black fungus detected so far, says Centre

India has reported more than 28,252 cases of mucormycosis, commonly known as black fungus, from across 28 states, the Union government said on Monday.

Mucormycosis was declared a notifiable disease on 20 May, after a large number of people recovering from covid-19 contracted the fungal infection.

Chairing the 28th meeting of a ministers’ panel on covid-19, Union health minister Harsh Vardhan said among these cases, 86% (24,370 cases) had contracted covid-19, and 62.3% (17,601) had a history of diabetes.

Maharashtra has reported the maximum number of mucormycosis cases (6,339) followed by Gujarat (5,486).

People contract mucormycosis when they come in contact with fungal spores in the environment.

The Union health ministry earlier said the fungal infection is leading to prolonged morbidity and mortality among covid-19 patients.

India reported 100,636 new covid-19 cases in the past 24 hours, the lowest in the past two months. The daily positivity rate has also been declining and now stands at 6.34%, and even though this is less than the 10% figure for the past fortnight, there still are 15 states where the daily positivity rate is greater than 10%.

“In the second wave, we see that continuously daily cases are declining and are outnumbered by new recoveries. 83% of active cases are in 10 states and the remaining 17% in 26 states/UTs. Seven states/UTs (Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Haryana, Gujarat, Uttarakhand and Jharkhand) have less than 1,000 cases. Five states/UTs (Jammu, Punjab, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Uttar Pradesh) have less than 2,000 cases. Even the most affected states like Maharashtra, Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu have observed a decline in the number of cases at a significant rate. Growth rate has declined from 14.7% (5 May) to 3.48% today," Harsh Vardhan said.

“INSACOG (Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genome Sequencing Consortia) labs are looking at the mutants which have significant potential of severely affecting the disease transmission. As of now, 10 national labs under INSACOG have sequenced around 30,000 samples. Eighteen more labs have been added to the consortium recently to boost the capacity of sequencing," he said.

At the meeting, Giridhar Aramane, secretary at the ministry of road transport and highways, gave an overview of oxygen availability in the country and measures taken to ramp up the production and supply chain.

“Various initiatives have been undertaken to enhance oxygen availability and distribution through increase in production capacity, setting up of Pressure Swing Adsorption plants, import of LMO (liquid medical oxygen) and oxygen concentrators," he said.

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint. Download our App Now!!

Close
×
Edit Profile
My ReadsRedeem a Gift CardLogout