New Delhi: The Rouse Avenue court on Monday extended interim protection from arrest to former Union finance minister P. Chidambaram and his son Karti Chidambaram and posted the matter for May 30 after investigation agencies sought more time to gather evidence in the case dealing with alleged irregularities in the approval by the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) of the Aircel-Maxis deal.
The court asked Solicitor General Tusshar Mehta to show the case file on what material is being collected.
“We want to interrogate both the accused in custody after we receive the Letters Rogatory (LRs)," said Mehta, appearing for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Enforcement Directorate (ED).
Counsels for the Chidambarams, Kapil Sibal and Abhishek Manu Singhvi, opposed this. “We are deeply prejudiced and we are in public life. We are entitled to bail. Every time the same prayer is made. We get no chance to reply. CBI has not interrogated since 2014, only once. Is this fair on the part of prosecution. I say grant us the bail, if they come across something, we are available. This is the arrogance on the part of the prosecution. You assume there is money parked. There is nothing against P. Chidambaram in the CBI case in the chargesheet," Sibal said.
The CBI and the ED are probing how Karti Chidambaram received clearance from the FIPB for the Aircel-Maxis deal in 2006 when his father was Union finance minister.
The CBI had in October 2018 filed a chargesheet naming him and a few others in the case. Last year, the CBI filed another chargesheet against 18 persons.