At least 40 dead in Karnataka as rains start to recede2 min read . Updated: 11 Aug 2019, 09:20 PM IST
- Flood related loss in Karnataka ₹10,000 crore, says CM Yediyurappa
- As water subsides, authorities will face other challenges including recovering the dead, prevention of water borne diseases, de-silting entire towns and villages
Bengaluru: Union Home Minister Amit Shah, on Sunday, carried out aerial surveys across flood affected regions around Belagavi in Karnataka and other adjoining districts from neighbouring Maharashtra as rains continued to wreak havoc in several parts of the country.
"Did an aerial survey of the flood affected areas of Belagavi (Karnataka) and Kolhapur & Sangli (Maharashtra). Also held a meeting with senior officials to review the relief operations. Central and both state governments are totally commited to helping our people in distress," Shah wrote on Twiiter.
The death toll in Karnataka rose to 40 human deaths with 14 missing while at least 525 animals had lost their lives.
Over 2,028 villages were inundated and 581,702 people were evacuated, of which 327,754 are currently in the 1,168 relief camps across these districts.
A total of 28,325 houses and 420,039 lakh hectares of crop loss has been incurred,according to state disaster management agencies.
The intensity of the rains have come down, the weather department said. However, as water recedes, authorities will face other challenges including recovering the dead, prevention of water borne diseases, de-silting entire towns and villages.
"The rainfall has reduced over interior Karnataka and coastal and Malnad region. The water has started receding in many districts and flood situation has improved," the state disaster management said in a statement on Sunday evening.
Last year's floods and landslides in the Coffee-growing district of Kodagu was left crippled after most of the bread winning agricultural and plantation lands was lost.
Belagavi, Kodagu, Dakshina Kannada, Uttara Kannada, Chikmagaluru, Shivamogga,Raichur and Bagalkote have been hit the worst and only likely to get worse as rains recede and other expose larger challenges of rehabilitation.
Four Indian Air Force choppers have been deployed at Belagavi, Mysuru, Raichur and one Indian Navy chopper in Uttara Kananda. Hundreds of others from the army, state and central agencies have been working tirelessly since last Saturday to help rescue stranded people and livestock.
Meanwhile, former chief minister Siddaramaiah said that the government of India was not giving Karnataka the attention it deserved.
"So far Prime Minister Narendra Modi has not visited or surveyed affected areas," Siddaramaiah said on Saturday in Bengaluru. In a tweet, he later wrote that the "central government is still sleeping"and that they should declare the floods as a "national disaster".
As chief minister of Karnataka from 2013-18, Siddaramaiah had taken on the Centre's "discriminatory policies" towards the state when compared to neighbouring Maharashtra, Gujarat and other states. For droughts and floods, the state has received considerably lower financial assistance despite being one of the biggest contributor to the Centre's coffers.
Siddaramaiah estimated the losses in Karnataka at over ₹1 lakh crore as against ₹6,000 crore estimated by CM Yediyurappa on Saturday.
Making a fresh appeal to Shah, Yediurappa said that the state had suffered damages of over ₹10,000 crore as per initial estimates and sought ₹3,000 crores be released immediately.
Attacking the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in the state, Siddaramaiah said that without the council of ministers, Yediyurappa is a one-man show and would not be able to deliver.
Though Yediurappa was sworn in as chief minister over two weeks ago, no minister has been inducted into the cabinet.
Senior leaders of the BJP said that the cabinet expansion would be done after 15 August. Yediurappa is expected to leave to Delhi on 16 August to finalise the cabinet.