OPEN APP
Home / News / India /  Karnataka doctor who treated India's first coronavirus casualty tests positive

A doctor who treated India's first casualty of coronavirus is among the two newly confirmed COVID-19 cases announced today in Karnataka. With the two new cases, the total number of confirmed cases in the state stands at 10, mentioned Karnataka health minister Sriramulu in a tweet.

The 60-year-old man who tested positive for the infection today, was identified as a doctor. He came into contact with the 76-year-old man who passed away in Karnataka on March 10. The patient in Kalaburgi had a history of travelling to Saudi Arabia. Later, his 45-year-old daughter also tested positive for the coronavirus disease.

A 20-year-old girl, who recently travelled to UK, also tested positive for COVID-19, Karnataka health department confirmed.

"Both are admitted in the isolation wards in designated hospitals in Bengaluru and Kalaburagi," said Sriramulu.

The Karnataka health officials are notifying patients and staff who came into contact with the doctor. The family members of the doctor were also advised to quarantine at home.

After Karnataka reported the first death due to COVID-19, chief minister B.S. Yediyurappa announced to shut malls, universities and colleges, movie theatres, night clubs for a week. IT companies such as Wipro, Infosys have extended work-from-home programme for the employees. Nearly 1,830 people are going through home quarantine across Karnataka while 2,221 people have enrolled for observation, the health department said.

India so far reported 126 coronavirus cases in the country, according to Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. In the wake of coronavirus pandemic, India today restricted the entry of passengers from Afghanistan, the Philippines and Malaysia.

Originated in China's Wuhan city, the coronavirus pandemic has infected 174,000 worldwide, with deaths topping 7000. India on Tuesday announced that state-authorized private laboratories would be allowed to conduct tests. But the government has yet to release the list of authorized labs, according to Dr Lokesh Kumar Sharma, spokesman for the Indian Council of Medical Research said.

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint. Download our App Now!!

Close
×
Edit Profile
My ReadsRedeem a Gift CardLogout