Home > News > India > Coronavirus update: Death toll in India rises to 4 as 72-year-old dies in Punjab

A 72-year-old man from Punjab becomes the fourth casualty of coronavirus in India. The patient had a history of travelling to Germany via Italy, confirmed a senior official. This is the first death reported from Punjab.

The patient was suffering from diabetes and hypertension. On Wednesday, he passed away at the Banga community health centre after having severe chest pain. The sample of the deceased person has tested positive for novel coronavirus, said health ministry.

The first casualty of coronavirus infection was reported from Karnataka. The second patient was a 68-year-old woman in the national capital who died at Delhi's Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital last week. Third patient with COVID-19 infection passed away in Mumbai's Kasturba hospital this week.

The total number of coronavirus cases in the country surged to 169 today. With nearly 50 cases reported from the state, Maharashtra is severely affected by COVID-19 infection.

A 23-year-old girl, with a travel history to the United Kingdom, has been diagnosed with COVID-19 in Chandigarh today. Punjab has recorded three COVID-19 cases so far.

As the virus continued to spread, Centre and state governments scaled efforts to prevent spread. India temporarily banned entry of passengers from 36 countries in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak. Passengers travelling from 11 countries will be quarantined, home ministry said.

Central government employees have been asked to work from home till April 4. According to an order issued by the Union Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions today, heads of department (HoDs) have been asked to ensure that 50% of Group B and C employees are required to attend office every day, and the remaining 50% staff should be instructed to work from home.

In the wake of coronavirus scare, Punjab government announces suspension of public transport services from Friday midnight. The state government also restricts public gatherings to less than 20 people.

Kashmir valley headed towards a virtual lockdown with the administration banning all public transport in Srinagar city. Authorities restrict movement of people in several parts of Jammu & Kashmir.

Indian Railways decided to suspend all concessional tickets except for patients, students and those in the Divyangjan category from Friday to discourage unnecessary travel.


Subscribe to newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Click here to read the Mint ePaper Livemint.com is now on Telegram. Join Livemint channel in your Telegram and stay updated

Close
×
My Reads Logout