Home >News >India >Coronavirus update: India bars entry of foreigners, OCI cardholders; advises against foreign travel
All travellers arriving from China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, France, Spain and Germany will be quarantined for at least 14 days. (Photo: HT)
All travellers arriving from China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, France, Spain and Germany will be quarantined for at least 14 days. (Photo: HT)

Coronavirus update: India bars entry of foreigners, OCI cardholders; advises against foreign travel

  • The govt said all existing visas, except diplomatic, official, UN/international organizations, employment, project visas, have been suspended till 15 April
  • The govt also said all incoming travelers, including Indians, arriving from or having visited China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, France, Spain and Germany, will be quarantined for minimum 14 days

NEW DELHI : India on Wednesday decided to bar the entry of foreigners and kept on hold the visa-free facility granted to Overseas Citizen of India cardholders from 1200 GMT Friday adding to measures to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.

In a Twitter post, the government said all existing visas, except diplomatic, official, those of international organisations, employment and project visas have been suspended till 15 April.

A tweet by the ministry of health and family welfare advised foreign nationals desirous of travelling to India for compelling reasons to contact the nearest Indian mission.

All incoming travellers, including Indians, arriving from or having visited China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, France, Spain, and Germany, will be quarantined for at least 14 days, the government decided at the second meeting of the group of ministers headed by Union health and family welfare minister Harsh Vardhan. These countries are the worst affected by the deadly novel coronavirus. People have been strongly advised against undertaking any non-essential overseas trip, with the government cautioning that they could be quarantined for 14 days on their return.

International traffic through land borders will be restricted to designated check posts with robust screening facilities, said another tweet by the health ministry.

The government said it will make provisions to test students and other compassionate cases in Italy, the most affected country after China, the epicentre of the Covid-19 outbreak.

As many as 121,564 confirmed cases of Covid-19 have been reported so far across the world with 4,373 people succumbing to the disease, according to data available on Johns Hopkins University website.

Of total cases, China has reported 80,969 cases with 3,046 deaths, while Italy has had 10,149 people affected, out of which 631 have died.

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Click here to read the Mint ePapermint is now on Telegram. Join mint channel in your Telegram and stay updated

Close
×
My Reads Redeem a Gift Card Logout