Coronavirus update: 64-year-old dies in Mumbai, India's third casualty2 min read . Updated: 17 Mar 2020, 02:21 PM IST
- India reported third death due to novel coronavirus today in Mumbai
- Amid coronavirus scare, the Maharashtra government has implemented a slew of measures to curb the spread of the disease
India today reported third death due to novel coronavirus as a 63-year-old patient with COVID-19 infection passed away in Mumbai. The patient was admitted to Kasturba hospital in Mumbai. The resident of Ghatkopar was the first victim of coronavirus infection in Maharashtra which has reported 39 COVID-19 cases so far, highest in the country.
The patient had a history of travelling to Dubai. He was suffering from co-morbid conditions including high blood pressure, pneumonia, and inflammation of heart muscles and increased heart rate, PTI reported.
"He was admitted at Kasturba Hospital on March 5 and he had hidden some details from us, including that he had come from Dubai. But we grew suspicious on March 13," Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope said.
The 63-year-old man was suffering from other health issues as well, confirmed Praveen Pardeshi, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Commissioner.
"The patient had hypertension and severe pneumonia. Suddenly, his heart rate went very high before he died," he said.
The first casualty of coronavirus infection was reported from Karnataka. The second patient was a 68-year-old woman in the national capital who died at Delhi's Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital last week.
A total of 125 patients has tested positive for coronavirus in the country, Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said today.
The rising number of cases has prompted the central government to ban entry of more international passengers coming to the country. The Centre today restricted the entry of passengers from Afghanistan, Philippines and Malaysia to India, according to a travel advisory.
"Travel of passengers from Afghanistan, Philippines and Malaysia to India is prohibited with immediate effect," the travel advisory said.
The additional travel restriction will come into effect immediately and shall remain in force till March 31, the government advisory added.
Amid coronavirus scare in the state, the Maharashtra government has implemented a slew of measures to curb the spread of the virus. Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code had been imposed in Nagpur and Nashik. Starting from today, around 40,000 shops will remain closed in Nagpur for the next three day.
The state government has decided to stamp all those people who have been sent to 100% 'home quarantine', according to a PTI report. The Thackeray government has made it a punishable offence if any person attempts to evade the compulsory quarantine, or breaks 'home quarantine' and would forcibly move such person to a government isolation facility.
Earlier, Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray issued an advisory directing all schools, colleges, cinema halls and malls to remain shut till 31 March. Maharashtra Legislature's Budget Session was also curtailed by a week. The entry to Mantralaya, the state government headquarters, will be banned till month end. All upcoming local bodies and civic elections have been postponed by three months.
With agency inputs