Cyclone Biparjoy to delay monsoon onset after intense storm. Top updates
Cyclonic storm 'Biparjoy' is expected to intensify into a very severe cyclonic storm over the east-central Arabian Sea and move north-northwestwards, according to the India Meteorological Department.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Wednesday said cyclonic storm ‘Biparjoy’ will further intensify into a very severe cyclonic storm over the east-central and adjoining southeast Arabian Sea during the next 12 hours. It stated that the cyclone would also move north-northwestwards.
Here's a 10-point guide on cyclone Biparjoy
1) The Biparjoy is anticipated to move nearly northwards during the next 24 hours and intensify into a very severe cyclonic storm.
2) It stated that the depression over Southeast Arabian Sea is likely to move nearly northwards and intensify into a cyclonic storm over east central Arabian Sea and adjoining southeast during the next 12 hours.
3) The formation of cyclonic storm Biparjoy may cause further delay in monsoon onset by two-three days, said private forecaster Skymet.
4) The onset over Kerala is likely to be on 4 June with an error margin of four days, while Skymet predicted 7 June with an error margin of three days.
5) The IMD has not yet predicted any major impact on countries adjoining the Arabian Sea, including India, Oman, Iran and Pakistan.
6) Meteorologists say the tentative track of the system will be in the northward direction but storms at times defy the predicted track and the intensity.
7) As cyclone 'Biparjoy' intensifies into a severe cyclonic storm and remains centred around 1,060 km south-west of Gujarat's coastal district of Porbandar, the state government on Wednesday said it was fully prepared to deal with possible natural calamities.
8) The cyclone is likely to cause light rains in Saurashtra and south Gujarat regions between June 9 and 11, an IMD official said.
9) Director of IMD, Ahmedabad, Manorama Mohanty said Biparjoy is centred around 1,060 km south-west of Porbandar district.
10) The cyclone is likely to sustain the strength of a very severe cyclone till June 12.
"Exciting news! Mint is now on WhatsApp Channels 🚀 Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest financial insights!" Click here!