Bengaluru: One more person in Karnataka has tested positive for coronavirus (Covid-19), making it the seventh case in the state, officials said.
The daughter of 76-year old Mohammed Hussain Siddiq, who died on 10 March and became the first casualty of the virus that has so far claimed over 5,393 deaths and infected over 150,000 people globally, tested positive on Sunday.
"Four samples from his family members were sent for testing and one has tested positive," a senior health department official said requesting not to be named.
The seventh positive case adds to the national tally of over 100 infected, which has been ticking up consistently over the last few days.
The newly tested positive patient is an immediate family member of the deceased, officials said.
" The result of one female (Daughter of P6 of Kalburgi case) was received and found positive for COVID-19," the department said in a statement. "She is already admitted in Kalaburagi district hospital and her health condition is stable. Other three contacts of Patient 6 are declared negative," the department said.
The statement added that the contacts have been traced and containment measures have been initiated.
Meanwhile, the state health department has found itself in the middle of a controversy, including allegations of mishandling the case of Siddiq and procedural lapses that may have endangered more people.
According to the health department's version, Siddiq, who came to India from Saudi Arabia, was admitted in a private hospital in Kalaburagi in Karnataka and was taken, against medical advice, to Hyderabad. Siddiq died on his return from Hyderabad.
The son, Qazi Ahmed Faisal Siddiq, has denied this and blamed the private hospitals in Kalaburagi and Hyderabad for denying treatment to his father and the state health department for not providing adequate information that could have saved a life.
Four journalists who interviewed Siddiq's son have also been placed under home quarantine.
The department is conducting a probe into the possible lapses in the case.
Apart from Siddiq and his daughter, five others have also tested positive for COVID-19 in Karntaka.
This includes three executives working at Information Technology (IT) companies and the wife and daughter of one of them.
A total of 1,877 people have enrolled for observation, the state health department said. Around 1,495 people are under home quarantine and 56 are lodged in medical facilities across the state.