The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) extended e-rickshaw services to 12 more metro stations taking the total number of stations to 29. The fleet of around 250 e-rickshaws was flagged off by Director, Operations, A.K. Garg from Patel Nagar Metro station on Wednesday.
"These 250 e-rickshaws will be plying from 12 stations including Qutab Minar, Ghittorni, Arjangarh, Nawada, Shadipur, Patel Nagar, Nangloi, Nangloi Railway Station, Govindpuri, Harkesh Nagar Okhla, Moolchand, and Botanical Garden to boost the last mile connectivity for the passengers of nearby localities from 6 am to 11 pm," DMRC said in a press release.
With this addition, the number of e-rickshaws has gone beyond 1,000 covering 29 metro stations.
The fares of these e-rickshaws have been kept very nominal at a base price of ₹10 for the first 2-km and ₹5 for every subsequent km. The commuters can also book vehicles through the SmartE app and pay digitally for their rides.
In recent years, DMRC has introduced many eco-friendly initiatives to ensure a robust last mile connectivity system, which enables the commuters to prefer non-polluting public transport modes over personal vehicles.
Some of the initiatives taken in recent years are:
1) Feeder Buses: 174 Non-AC CNG feeder buses (26+1 seater) are being operated on 32 feeder routes approved by State Transport Authority. The services are available from 69 Metro stations.
2) E-rickshaw Services: Organized services by DMRC authorized e-rickshaw operators from 29 Metro stations. All e-rickshaws are GPS enabled, and registered with concerned RTO.
3) Cab Aggregator Kiosks: UBER Booking kiosk available at 12 metro stations viz. Rajiv Chowk, Dwarka Sector-21, HUDA City Centre, Sikanderpur, IFFCO Chowk, Vaishali, Kaushambi, Raja Nahar Singh, Botanical Garden, NOIDA City Centre, NOIDA Sector-15 and NOIDA Sector-16.
4) E-scooter Services: Rental services available from 4 metro stations viz. Vishwavidyalaya, Mandi House, Dwarka Sector-9 and Nehru Enclave.
5) Public Bicycle Sharing Services: Paddle cycle services operational from 16 Metro stations. Battery operated cycle services operational from 36 metro stations.