From guns to missiles: Full list of 101 defence items banned for import by India3 min read . Updated: 09 Aug 2020, 12:31 PM IST
Rajnath Singh said the ministry has prepared a list of 101 items for which the embargo on imports is planned to be progressively implemented between 2020 and 2024
In a major reform initiative to boost the domestic defence industry, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh today announced restrictions on import of 101 weapons and military platforms including artillery guns, assault rifles and transport aircraft.
He said the ministry has prepared a list of 101 items for which the embargo on imports is planned to be progressively implemented between 2020 and 2024.
The list of 101 embargoed items comprises some high technology weapon systems like artillery guns, assault rifles, corvettes, sonar systems, transport aircraft, light combat helicopters (LCHs), radars and many other items.
The import embargo will come into effect on these items in a phased manner. The deadline has been set for December 2025.
Here is a list of 101 defence items banned for import by India
- Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) MK I A, Land-Attack Cruise Missiles (Long-Range),155 mm Artillery Ammunition.
- By December 2020, the embargo will come into effect on 120mm Fin Stabilised Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot (FSAPDS) Mark II Ammunition, 7.62x51 Sniper Rifle, Tracked Self Propelled (SP) Gun (155mm x 52 Cal), Towed Artillery Gun (155mm x 52 Cal), Short Range Surface to Air Missiles (Land variant), Shipborne Cruise Missiles, Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher (MBRL) (Pinaka Variant), Simulators Presenting Smart Ranges And Multi-Function Targets, Battalion Support Weapons Simulators, Container-based Simulators for Live Fire Training, Tailor-made Simulators for Counter Insurgency (CI)/Counter Terrorism (CT) based Training, Force-on-force Live Tactical Simulators / Infantry Weapon.
- This category also has Tank Simulators (driving, as well as, crew gunnery), 155mm/39 Cal Ultra-Light Howitzer, Successor of Flycatcher &Upgraded Super Fledermaus (USFM) / Air Defence Fire Control Radar (ADFCR), Component Level Repair Facility for Tank T-90, Shipborne Close in Weapon System, Bullet Proof Jackets, Ballistic Helmets, Missile Destroyers, Multi-Purpose Vessel, Offshore Patrol Vessel, Next Generation Missile Vessels, Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts, Water Jet Fast Attack Craft, Ammunition Barges, 50ton Bollard - Pull Tugs, Survey Vessels, Floating Dock, Diving Support Vessels, Pollution Control Vessels, Anti-Submarine Rocket Launchers and Shipborne Medium-Range Gun.
- Among other items in this December 2020 embargo, the category includes Torpedo Tube Launcher for Light Weight Torpedoes, Magneto-Rheological Anti Vibration Mounts, All variants of Depth Charges, Shipborne Sonar System for Large Ships, Hull Mounted Submarine Sonar, Short Range Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft, Short Range Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft, Short Range Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft, Chaff Rocket Launcher, Integrated Ship's Bridge System, Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) MK I A - Enhanced Indigenised Content and Light Combat Helicopters.
- General Purpose Pre Fragmentation Bombs between 250-500 Kg, Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) for Transport Aircraft, Ground-Based Mobile ELINT System, Transport Aircraft (Light), GSAT-6 Satellite Terminals, Aerial Delivery Systems for Transport Aircraft, Digital Tropo Scatter/LOS Communication System, Low-Level Transportable Radar, High Power Radar (HPR), CBRN Detection & Monitoring System, CBRN Decontamination & Protection System, Parachute Tactical Assault (PTA)- G2 will not be imported from the end of December 2020.
- This list also has Dragunov Upgrade System, PKMG Upgrade System, Simulators for A Vehicles / B Vehicles, Simulators for Towed and Self Propelled Guns of Air Defence, Simulators for Correction of Fire by Observers, Military trucks of 4x4 and above variants: 12x12, 10x10, 8x8, 6x6, Fixed Wing Mini UAVs, 500 Ton Self Propelled Water Barges, Software Defined Radio (TAC) for IN, Next Generation Maritime Mobile Coastal Battery (Long Range), Advance Landing Ground Communication Terminals (ALGCTs)for AGLs and Field Artillery Tractor (FAT) 6X6 for Medium Guns.
- On items - Wheeled Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV), Light Machine Gun, 125 mm Fin Stabilised Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot (FSAPDS)New Generation Ammunition, Assault Rifle 7.62 x 39mm, 30 mm Ammunition for Infantry Fighting Systems, Mine Fragmentation, Mine Anti-tank, Mine Anti-Personnel Blast, Multipurpose Grenade, Inertial Navigation System for Ship Application and Conventional Submarines- embargo will come with effect From December 2021.
- 40mm UBGL (Under Barrel Grenade Launcher), Lightweight Rocket Launcher, 155 mm Artillery Ammunition, EW Systems among items which will have import embargo by December 2022.
- From 2023, Material Handling Crane 2.5 to 7.5 Tons (Vehicle Mounted), GRAD BM Rocket, 30MM HEI/HET, ASTRA-MK I Beyond Visual Range Air to Air Missile (BVR AAM), EW Suit for MI-17 V5, Communication Satellite GSAT-7C, Satellite GSAT 7R, Basic Trainer Aircraft (BTA) will not be imported.
- On Items including Expendable Aerial Targets, Small Jet Engines with 120kgf thrust, Light Low-Level Terrain Radar (LLLWR), Close-in Weapon System (Land-based), 23 mm ZU Ammunitions, 30mm VOG 17, Electronic Fuses for Artillery Ammunitions, Bi- Modular Charge System (BMCS ), the embargo will come into effect from 2024.
- The Defence Ministry put an embargo on Long-Range - Land Attack Cruise Missile by December 2025.