From 'pen-paper to digital': How India's first digital census will be conducted
'The forthcoming Census will be the first digital Census and there is a provision for self-enumeration,' the Ministry of Home said in the Lok Sabha
The Union Home Ministry today informed that India's upcoming 2021 Census will be the first-ever digital Census in the country and there is a provision for self-enumeration as well. So, India is going all digital where technology is playing an important role in shaping the new India.
What is a digital census?
The country's 16th Census (Census 2021) will be done digitally. Till now, the process involved visiting every household and filling up forms. This year, workers going door-to-door will have tablets or smartphones that will let them enter information digitally.
For this, there is a provision for self-enumeration, a mobile app for the collection of data and a census portal for management and monitoring of various Census related activities.
How digital census will be done
- Once the Census portal is made open, individuals can log in using their mobile numbers and fill up their details.
- In the Census portal, individuals will be required to fill in the form for population enumeration.
- Codes will be displayed on the screen to fill in the various options
- Once self-enumeration is done, an identification number will be sent on individual mobile phones.
- When the enumerator goes for the house listing exercise, the ID number can be shared, which will automatically sync all the data already filled online.
On February 1 2021, Nirmala Sitharaman, who presented the first paperless Union Budget 2021-22, said the forthcoming census -- an exercise to determine the population of the country -- would be the first digital census in the history of India.
"For this monumental milestone marking task, I have allocated ₹ ₹3,768 crore for Financial Year 2021," Nirmala Sitharaman had said.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah had earlier announced that the 2021 census will be conducted through a mobile phone application. The decision to move away from traditional pen and paper was taken to promote Digital India.
Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it's all here, just a click away! Login Now!