2 min read.Updated: 20 May 2021, 02:01 PM IST Edited By Sangeeta Ojha
The ICMR has made it clear that only symptomatic individuals and immediate contacts of people who tested positive in the laboratory should use the home test kit
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has given a green signal to a home-based rapid antigen testing (RAT) kit for COVID-19. The ICMR has made it clear that only symptomatic individuals and immediate contacts of people who tested positive in the laboratory should use the home test kit
"Home testing by RAT is advised only in symptomatic individuals and immediate contacts of laboratory-confirmed positive cases. Indiscriminate testing is not advised," the county's apex health research body said.
"All symptomatic individuals who test negative by RAT should get themselves immediately tested by RT-PCR. This is especially important as the RATs are likely to miss few positive cases presenting with a low viral load.
"All RAT negative symptomatic individuals may be treated as suspect COVID-19 cases and are advised to follow the ICMR/Ministry of Health home isolation protocol while awaiting the RT-PCR test result," the advisory stated.
Here is all you need to know about the home-based rapid antigen testing kit for Covid-19:
1) The home-based rapid antigen testing kit manufactured by Mylab Discovery Solutions Ltd, Pune, has been validated and approved by the ICMR.
2) Only a nasal swab will be required for this rapid antigen testing.
3) The name of the kit is CoviSelfTM(PathoCatch) COVID-19 OTC Antigen LF device.
4) The kit comes with a pre-filled extraction tube, a sterile nasal swab, one test card, and a biohazard bag. The person undertaking the test will have to download the Mylab coviself app on their mobile phone.
Pune's Mylab receives ICMR approval for India's first self-use Rapid Antigen Test kit 'CoviSelf' for COVID-19.
"This test is for self-use. If you test positive via this there's no need for RT-PCR test as per ICMR. Any adult can use this kit by reading our manual,"says Director pic.twitter.com/3Rz59rc72O
5) The home testing mobile app is available in Google play store and Apple store and must be downloaded by all users.
6) The mobile app is a comprehensive guide of the testing procedure and will provide a positive or negative test result to the patient.
7) There will be two sections on the test card—the control section and the test section.
8) If the bar shows up only at the control section ‘C’, the result is negative, and if the bar appears on both the control section and test (T) section, the test is positive.
9) According to a report in Hindustan Times, the test kit will be priced at ₹250 per kit.
10) It takes 2 minutes to conduct test & 15 minutes to get a result. It will be available by end of next week in more than 7 lakh pharmacies & our online pharmacy partners across India, news agency ANI quoted Sujeet Jain, Director of Mylab Discovery Solutions.
All users are advised to click a picture of the test strip after completing the test procedure with the same mobile phone which has been used for downloading the mobile app and user registration.
Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.
Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint.
our App Now!!