A sneak peek into Indian Railways first electric loco shed as it celebrates its 91st anniversary
5 min read.Updated: 28 Nov 2019, 09:08 PM ISTTamal Nandi
The electric loco shed at Kalyan during its journey of the last 91 years has maintained nearly 16 different types of electric locomotives
The electric loco shed was established on 28 November 1928 under the Great Indian Peninsula Railway (GIPR)
The electric loco shed at Kalyan holds a unique record to its name. It is the first electric loco shed of Indian Railways and is maintained by the Central Railway zone.
The electric loco shed was established on 28 November 1928 under the Great Indian Peninsula Railway (GIPR).
The electric loco shed at Kalyan during its journey of the last 91 years has maintained nearly 16 different types of electric locomotives. The loco shed has undertaken a long journey since its formation when it use to maintain electric locomotives EA/1 and EF/1 which were having horsepower of 2160 HP & 2230 HP respectively in 1928.
Presently it maintains electric locomotives of 6125 HP WAP/7, which is being used in the push-pull operation of 22221/22222 Rajdhani Express.
The electric loco shed at Kalyan includes DC Locomotives of type 2160 HP EA-1 & 2230 HP EF-1. The shed received WCM-2, WCM-3 & WCM-4 class of locomotives which were modified to work in 1500V DC catenary prevalent in Mumbai Division.
Later, CLW started manufacturing WCM-5 class of locomotives, the first one named “LOKMANYA" which was also added to the fleet at Kalyan.
Since Mumbai Division is surrounded by Ghat sections on both sides, Kalyan based locomotives perform the essential service of banking (providing additional power) for hauling mail/express/goods trains up or down the Ghat.
In 1971, the newly-built WCG-2 locomotives were provided which had a dynamic braking feature. Thus, with the conversion of DC catenary of 1500 volt to AC catenary 25 KV, now 5000 HPWAG/7 locos are used as banker locos in both ghats.
Some of the types of electric locomotives maintained at Electric Loco Shed/Kalyan:
EA/1 Class of Locomotive was the first electric locomotive in India. Electric Loco Shed Kalyan had maintained 21 EA/1 locomotives from 1930 to 1972. It was supplied in 1930 by Vulcan Foundary, UK, Electrics were supplied from Metropolitan Vickers, UK. The first of the EA/1 locomotives was named after ‘Sir Roger Lumley’ after the 11th Earl of Scarborough, who was the governor of Bombay from 1937 to 1943.
The first few of EF/1 were made by the Swiss Locomotive Works, Winterthur, and more by Vulcan Foundary, UK, Electrics were supplied from Metropolitan Vickers, UK. Electric Loco Shed Kalyan had maintained 41 EF/1 locomotives from 1928 to until fairly recent 1998. The first of the EF/1 locomotives was named after ‘Sir Leslie Wilson’, who was the then governor of Bombay.
EM/1, later called as WCM/1 locos were used for mixed service. 7 nos of WCM/1 Electric Locomotives were maintained at Electric Loco Shed Kalyan. It was the first Electric Locomotive with the now familiar Co-Co wheel arrangement to be used in India. This fleet was used to run Superfast trains such as Indrayani Express and Deccan Express until quite recent 1990.
WCM/5 was India's first indigenously designed and built DC Electric Locomotive in collaboration with English Electric Co. . In the WCM series, these are the first to use half-collector pantographs. The first locomotive was named ‘Lokmanya’. In all 20 WCM/5 Locos were maintained by Electric Loco Shed between 1963 to 2000. These locomotives were mostly used for passenger services.
WCG/2 Electric Locomotives were designed by RDSO based on Japanese models and manufactured by CLW. They were manufactured for replacement of EA/1 and EF/1 type locomotives. The Ghat banking duties in the Bhor ghat (Karjat – Lonavla) and Thal ghat (Kasara – Igatpuri) were exclusively handled then by WCG/2. During the year 1971 upto 2012, about 57 WCG/2 type locomotives were maintained at Electric Loco Shed, Kalyan.
Initially WCM/6 Locos were used for light freight duties between Kalyan – Karjat section. Only two of these locos were manufactured due to development of AC-DC type locomotives and are being maintained at ELS/KYN since 1996. One was seriously damaged due to fire, but was successfully rehabilitated by ELS/KYN. Now these locos are converted to AC, similar to WAG/7 type of locomotives and being used for inferior services.
Jointly designed and developed by RDSO and BHEL, WCAM-3 were manufactured under BOLT (Built-own-lease-transfer) scheme. About 53 locos of WCAM/3 type are being maintained at Electric Loco Shed Kalyan since 1996. Owing to it’s Dual Traction capability, these locomotives were being used in Mumbai – Igatpuri and Mumbai – Lonavla sections.
WCAG/ were designed for dedicated freight operation. These locos were similar to WCAM/3 except having different Gear Ratio and Heavier. Untill 2016 these locomotives were used exclusively for freight traffic originating from Mumbai ports, where the traction was still 1500 volt DC. 12 nos of WCAG/1 locomotives are being maintained at Electric Loco Shed Kalyan since 1998.
WAG/5 AC locomotives were built by CLW to RDSO specifications starting from 1983 and are being maintained by Electric Loco Sheds all over the country. These About 31 of these locomotives were maintained at Electric Loco Shed Kalyan during the year 2007 to 2011. They run in pairs hauling long freight trains and hence uncommon to spot them working single. This fleet were later transferred in batches to ELS/BSL during 2011-12.
WAP/7 is one of the most powerful passenger locomotive in Indian Railways with HOG facility built by CLW. With modified gear ratios these locos are capable to pull loads at higher speed. Its maximum Permissible speed is 140 Kmph. It is also being used for Push-Pull operations. This locomotive is added to the fleet of ELSKYN from June -2019 to cater the need of Push-Pull operation of Rajdhani Express. As on date shed is maintaining 12 WAP-7 locomotives.
Equiped with modern state of the art technology, WAG/9 is referred to as the heavy haul locomotive of Indian Railway. Originally the first 22 locomotives were imported from ABB, Germany in the year 1996. In Nov 1998, CLW started manufacturing these locomotives with indigenous components and the first among these was named as ‘Navyug’. Since 2013-14 Electric Loco Shed, Kalyan is receiving these locomotives from CLW and recently from BHEL, Jhansi. As on date 69 WAG/9 locos are being maintained.