Mumbai, suburbs face power outage as CM orders probe3 min read . Updated: 12 Oct 2020, 02:29 PM IST
- Certain lines of Central and Western Railways have been restored after the power failure.
- Many commuters who were stuck in the trains due to the grid failure have been rescued.
Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray spoke to State Power Minister, Dr Nitin Raut and BMC Commissioner IS Chahal over grid failure in Mumbai and gave directions for its restoration as soon as possible, according to Maharashtra CM's Office on Monday.
"Chief Minister has given instructions for the restoration of power supply as soon as possible. He has also instructed departments like fire brigade, etc. to remain vigilant during this time of need. The Chief Minister has also instructed the local authorities to make proper arrangements for the standard passengers of Mumbai local trains," as per an official statement.
State Energy Minister Nitin Raut also said the reasons behind the technical snag that caused power failure in parts of the MMR will be probed once the electricity supply is restored.
Mumbai power cut - Highlights
- Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray on Monday took serious cognisance of the power outage in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) and ordered an immediate probe into it.
- As Mumbai came to standstill after a grid failure caused a major power outage across the megapolis on Monday, Hindi cine personalities including megastar Amitabh Bachchan, actors Ali Fazal, Nimrat Kaur and filmmaker Kunal Kohli urged people to “stay calm".
- Electric supply has been restored in Charni Road and the Bombay High Court area, reports suggest.
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has issued helpline numbers in case of emergencies. The emergency numbers are 022-22694727, 022-226947725 and 022-22704403.
- Mumbai’s Commissioner IS Chahal has asked all hospitals in the city to contact their respective solid waste management transport garage officers to get enough supply of diesel for at least eight hours.
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has said that the power is back on in hospitals across the city and there is “nothing to worry" about in that regard. “Power restoration will happen by MSEDCL by 12.30 pm".
- Mumbai: Commuters seen waiting at Mulund Station as train services are disrupted due to power outage after a grid failure.
- At 10.10 am there were simultaneous substation tripping in MSETCL's Kalwa, Kharghar causing a huge dip in frequency in the Mumbai transmission system which led to tripping of Mumbai power supply. Restoration work in is in progress to bring supply from the 3 Hydro units and Trombay units once the MSETCL transmission lines are connected. inconvenience is regretted. - Tata Power
- Due to power supply failure in Mumbai region, residents of Mumbai are requested to call on 022-22694727, 022-226947725 and 022-22704403 in case of emergencies: BMC.
- Central Railways said, "In view of interruption in Traction power at 10.05 hrs due to grid failure of Tata Power company, services between Churchgate and Borivili are suspended. It shall be resumed as soon as the traction power supply is restored. Commuters are requested to cooperate."
- Central Railway Harbour line restored from 10.55 am.
- Due to a technical glitch in Circuit 2 of the Kalva-Padghe powerhouse, the regions between Thane and Mumbai are facing a power cut. Our staff is working on it and power will be restored in an hour or 45 minutes: Maharashtra Energy Minister Nitin Raut.
- The restoration of the electricity supply can take at least 2 hrs. Essential establishments to be catered first.
- AEML is currently supplying to critical services in Mumbai Around 385MW through AEML Dahanu generation. Our teams are working to restore the supply in the affected areas at the earliest. We regret the inconvenience caused, Adani Electricity tweets.
- Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) said that the exchange is working normally despite the power cut. 'The listing ceremony was concluded successfully for Mazagon Shipbuilders today morning," it said.
- The Central Railway zone has also put out a tweet stating, " Mumbai Suburban trains on CR held up due to grid failure. We will update ASAP. Kindly bear with us."
- "NSE is functioning normally. Report of major power outage in Mumbai," NSE tweeted.
- Mumbaikars have taken to twitter to complain about the power cut.